Just had my first homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriso77

Reaction score
I know I committed a cardinal sin, but curiosity got the best of me. I just tried my Bavarian Wheat that has only been bottled for 8 days. It wasn't bad, but not great. I know it needs more time. It had a pretty noticeable banana flavor with a bit of bitterness. We had some pretty drastic temperature changes while it was fermenting. It went from fermenting in the mid 60's to upper 70 degree mark. In hindsight I also could have done a better job with aerating the wort. I also never took the temperature whn the yeast was pitched. Now that I have a better idea of what and what not to do, I will redeem myself this weekend with a Belgian Wit beer. I think/hope the flavor will improve with a little bit of time.

I would say try one per week to give yourself a sense of how they mature. Take notes from bottle to bottle.

It will get better with time, but may have some flaws. I think just about everyone sneaks a bottle or two before it's 'ready'. It's really too much to ask of a new brewer that's curious about what his efforts produced.

I still do this all the time even with 8 batches under my belt. I wonder if those who have brewed hundreds of batches still sneak tastes...

I bottled my first batch on Saturday and even though its ony been two days, I'm tempted as H*** to try one. :D

My first batch had real bitter aftertaste. As it continued to mature in the bottle, it's got better..It's been in the bottle for about 3 weeks now and has mellowed alot. Don't worry, give it time...

Back