Hog Slaughter and Smoke at My place. HBT people invited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Adam,
Great Pics!
I have a great book for you to check out if you haven't already.
The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery is great. Worth the $20.
Check it out if you get a chance.
Bull

Hey Adam,
Great Pics!
I have a great book for you to check out if you haven't already.
The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery is great. Worth the $20.
Check it out if you get a chance.
Bull

Hi. You're probably the 5th person who has recommended that to me. I guess it's time to finally buy it!

Adam, sorry I never contacted you. We are slaughtering tomorrow at 9:30. You are welcome to come. Give me a call tomorrow and I will give you directions.

Interesting .....I've never seen a hog skinned when slaughtered ...they've always been scalded in a tub of hot water and scraped clean and hairless down to the clean skin, then gutted and split, (or quartered) .

Looks like you got 'er done just fine tho. :rockin:

Interesting .....I've never seen a hog skinned when slaughtered ...they've always been scalded in a tub of hot water and scraped clean and hairless down to the clean skin, then gutted and split, (or quartered) .

Looks like you got 'er done just fine tho. :rockin:

YEP! Finally finished curing all of the belies.

Smoking everything today on apple wood.

I'd be interested in helping out next time, just for the learning experience. Keep me posted end if I can make it, I'd love to help!
Bull

Great thread. It doesn't have to be about living off the land or being entirely self-sufficient. Every fall, some of us at the office get together and butcher 7-8 hogs and one big ol' sow (she's strictly for sausage). One guy raises them at his house in the sticks. We buy the piglets in the spring and turn them into meat in the fall. The sow we picked up this year was ~700lbs live weight. In the end, we averaged nearly 45 lbs of sausage, bacon, and canadian bacon per person plus whatever they had out of the pigs (some people sign up for 1/2 a pig instead of whole one).

It's a lot of work spread out over two days (executions and sow butchering on Friday and butchering/sausage making/wrapping on Saturday). Usually there are 8-10 of us. The farmer we got the sow from this year finished her off with avocados, squash and tomatoes leftover from regional farmer's market and the meat was exceptional. It's nice to use the whole hog for sausage because you get ham, rib meat, shoulder, etc in the sausage.

Right now my freezer is packed full with lamb, pork, venison, and 25lbs of kraut.

Back