Corn flakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello,

Usually I buy flaked corn at the homebrew shop, but I imagine that Kellogs Cornflakes is the same thing?

Is this correct?

Marius

Flaked corn will be just corn. I'm pretty sure that Kellog's corn flakes will have many more ingredients including salt, sugar, etc........

No, not remotely close.

Flaked corn is a process by which a corn kernel is pressed and steamed to gelatinize it's starches for easier conversion. It isn't anything but a kernel of corn that has been processed. Much like how Oatmeal is Flaked Oats.

Corn Flakes are a breakfast food product made of corn flour along with gobs of other ingredients. Stick with the product from the LHBS or maybe look at doing a cereal mash with corn grits. Cornmeal is also an option but gets nasty during the mash/sparge.

No, I would imagine Kellog's Cornflakes has about a billion other things (like preservatives) that you may not want in your beer. I don't have a box handy to look up the ingredients though, but I would imagine they're not a good substitute. But if you're willing to find out for us... :)

No, I would imagine Kellog's Cornflakes has about a billion other things (like preservatives) that you may not want in your beer. I don't have a box handy to look up the ingredients though, but I would imagine they're not a good substitute. But if you're willing to find out for us... :)

Kellogg's Corn Flakes

* Milled Corn
* Sugar
* Malt flavoring
* High fructose corn syrup
* Salt
* Iron
* Niacinamide
* Sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
* Pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6)
* Riboflavin (vitamin B2)
* Thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1)
* Vitamin A palmitate
* Folic acid
* Vitamin B12
* Vitamin D
* Vitamin B

Let's give this one a bump. Planning to possibly brew a cerveza type light beer that I'd want to add corn flakes into (not kellogs, the real stuff) but don't have the slightest clue what kind of a percentage there should be of it. Anyone wanna throw in their 2c?

I've done it before, using a box of Aldi corn flakes cereal. They worked just fine and had a good flavor. I ended up with a lot of flour in the bottom of the fermentor, tho'. The cereal just dissolved in the mash.

Let's give this one a bump. Planning to possibly brew a cerveza type light beer that I'd want to add corn flakes into (not kellogs, the real stuff) but don't have the slightest clue what kind of a percentage there should be of it. Anyone wanna throw in their 2c?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66503

This is Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops. I have made it a couple times. Looks like they used 23.5% flaked corn. I would say 20%.

Back