Recipe Requests: Partial Mash Stone IPA and Bison Chocolate Stout Clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Hey folks, me again. Looking to gather my info for a second homebrew. I'm looking for something that doesn't take too long (no more than a month from brew to drink) and was thinking about a Stone IPA and Bison Chocolate Stout clone since I love them both. I want to do partial mash and a 5 gallon batch. For refferance, my grain options are here and my yeast options are over here with this as my sugars. I am hoping to use DME. Thanks in advance, you guys really helped me out for the last batch.

There's the Green Brewing issue of BYO Magazine that has the recipe for the Bison Chocolate stout in it. It came out 2 or 3 issues ago.

I'd make the stout, if I needed it ready in a month. An IPA recipe would be pretty bitter and harsh in only 4 weeks. If you could wait 6 weeks, though, I'd make the Stone IPA clone.

There's the Green Brewing issue of BYO Magazine that has the recipe for the Bison Chocolate stout in it. It came out 2 or 3 issues ago.
I checked their website and it's not up there. I'll double check my local mag shop and see if they still have that issue.

The website has this for the stout

OG 1.058, 17 IBU, 2-row, carmel, chocolate, roast barley, and munich malts.
I'm just a beginner and do not know how to really formulate a recipe from just that info :(
I'd make the stout, if I needed it ready in a month. An IPA recipe would be pretty bitter and harsh in only 4 weeks. If you could wait 6 weeks, though, I'd make the Stone IPA clone.
I can wait 6 weeks.

Sorry I was in the middle of a brew day and didn't have time to type it out.

All Grain
OG-1.058
FG- 1.020
IBU- 25
SRM- 67
ABV- 4.8%

7.5 lbs organic 2-row pale malt
1.5 lbs organic munich malt
2 lbs organic CaraMunich malt
1 lbs organic chocolate malt
.5 lbs organic roasted barley
1.0 oz cocoa

6 AAU Magnum hops (60 min)
(0.5 oz of 12% alpha acids)
2 AAU Cascade hops (2 min)
(0.4 oz of 5% alpha acids)

ale yeast (Bison uses a proprietary strain and suggests you use an alt yeast)
(1.5qt/1.5 L yeast starter)

0.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Mash at 152F. To mash in, add one-third of the grains and stir in the cocoa. Layer remaining two-thirds of grain bed over this. Boil for 75-90 minutes. Ferment at 70F.

You can just put that into BeerSmith and convert it to PM. They give an extract recipe as well so let me know if you need that.

All Grain
OG-1.058
FG- 1.020
IBU- 25
SRM- 67
ABV- 4.8%

1.0 oz cocoa

Mash at 152F. To mash in, add one-third of the grains and stir in the cocoa. Layer remaining two-thirds of grain bed over this. Boil for 75-90 minutes. Ferment at 70F.

You can just put that into BeerSmith and convert it to PM. They give an extract recipe as well so let me know if you need that.

Thanks for typing that up! I don't have the money to purchase BeerSmith...although I might download the demo and poke around...

What's a ggood replacement for Magnum hops...I can't seem to find them locally right now (stupid hops shortage...).

Thanks for typing that up! I don't have the money to purchase BeerSmith...although I might download the demo and poke around...

What's a ggood replacement for Magnum hops...I can't seem to find them locally right now (stupid hops shortage...).

Time to go AG! :ban:

I looked up Magnum in BeerSmith but under substitutes is says "N/A".

I'm sure someone else will know a good substitution.

I would like the extract recipe, please. Sundug

All Grain
OG-1.058
FG- 1.020
IBU- 25
SRM- 67
ABV- 4.8%

1.0 oz cocoa

Come on dude, $20 bucks? You can save that really quick by quitting something for a short time.

Yea I know that was written like 3 years ago, but sheesh......If you can afford to brew you should have an extra 20.

HA! God would I love to, but I don't have the money to invest in that ambitious project at the moment...plus I want to get some more experience in on the Partial Mash brewing.

WHAT???? You can't afford to buy a pair of paint strainer bags? They're less than $5. With them you could do a 3 gallon all grain batch if you have a 5 gallon pot. Yes it is that easy with brew in a bag. I've done 3 batches that way and a few more 5 gallon batches once I bought a turkey fryer with a bigger pot. You'll probably want to get a grain mill soon to get your grain crushed fine enough to get better efficiency but even those are available for under $30 if you look for them.

Back