The Official WHMBP Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Mod Edit Oct 6:

Please forward all PMs to talleymonster who is taking over for Alamo Beer.
We'll let you know when Alamo gets back.

Email: [email protected]

Welcome Home Military Brewers Program

Purpose:
To show our gratitude to the HBT members that are soldiers and are returning home
To give our fellow brewers a stockpile of homebrew to hold them over until they can brew

How it works:
To join as either a soldier or a volunteer PM me with the following info:

Volunteer: Email Address

Soldier: Name, Address, and Return Date

I will email all of the volunteers 1 month before a soldier returns with their return date and address, it’s then up to you to ship beer or whatever else you would like to send.

Rules & Regulations
ALL exchange rules laid down by OllllO still apply, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44987
This is a volunteer program NOT a swap. You will not be getting anything in return, besides that warm fuzzy feeling.

So lets show some support! So far we have 15 “official” volunteers and 2 soldiers

Volunteers:
Alamo_Beer
BigKahuna
Desert Monkey
DubbelDach
EdWort
Enderwig
Findthefish
Hagen
Jonnio
OlllllO
Pirate Ale
Pldoolittle
RICLARK
Warrior
YooperBrew

Soldiers:
Cakehole (HOME!)
Cheeto1977 (8/18/09)

**I will edit this post to update the list of volunteers & Soldiers as needed**

Mod Edit Oct 6:

Please forward all PMs to talleymonster who is taking over for Alamo Beer.
We'll let you know when Alamo gets back.

I emailed all of the folks that have signed up so far but I figured I'd let the rest of the board know...

We have our first returning soldier, Cakehole. He'll be returning the 16th or 17th of this month!

If you'd like to join and send him something just PM me and I'll email you his address.

I was thinking....and it would be cool if the returning soldiers would start a thread when they get home with pics of either the stuff they get or pics of them enjoying it.

Just a thought :D

Count me in. If it's not in my profile, I'm pldoolittle {at} gmail {dot} com. Please send me cakehole's info so I can get a belated package out.

Mine is going out Monday as well - I am guessing we will have a side by side comparison of Apfelwein if Ed is sending stuff :) Mine is only about 4 months old though.

Just came across this post and was wondering of this was still going on? As an active duty military type, I think that this is a great program. Even if the service member isn't a homebrewer, I know that any show of appreciation will be well received.
Thanks for all of your efforts.
Justin8404

Yup still going on... :D

Thanks for being on the ball and getting your stuff ready to ship out! You guys rock :rockin:

I'm right behind you and getting my stuff out this week....

pldoolittle, expect an email tomorrow morning...

Yeah, mine will go out early next week. I was on vacation and just got back and am having a firkin tapping gathering at my place Friday.

Wish I could ship ol' Cakehole a firkin!

Well,

Got a surprise package today from UPS.

It had the following inside:

From Left to right:

Red Barn Ale from The Lost Abbey
Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing

Maricopa Pale
Hatch cream
Russian Imperial Stout
2 x Dark Love Stout
- All from Rabbit and Coyote Brewing Co.

8th Street Ale from 4 Peaks brewing.

I also got an ESB and an IPA from Hagen

Thanks a ton guys. I will really enjoy these beers and hopefully be able to duplicate one or three to share in the future.

Cake

OK,

Drank Hagen's ESB, it was fantastic.

Made a Black and Tan with the Dark Love Stout and a bottle of Pale Ale I had in the fridge.

Now onto either the 8th Street Ale or the Maricopa Pale......

I'm gonna get Dukin Frunk!!!

Cake

I'm afraid that a Sharpie inscribed letter on the cap is about as high-tech as this batch is going to be! I'm headed out of town on business till the middle of next week- HOPING to get everything out tomorrow. :D

Got another Package, this time from The BigKahuna.

2 x Apfelwein and 2 x Bananas on the Beach

STP60255.JPG

This is so cool. I can't wait to get some of my own stuff brewed, quality checked, and sent out to other returning Troops.

By the way, Kahuna, that was an awesome packing job you did. Genius use of vacuum seal bags to make sure nothing would leak in case of breakage.

For those of you that have actually gone out of your way to ship HB to my military brothers...I thank you. The red, white and blue of 9/12/01 has faded and I know that we all appreciate your continued support.

V/R
HM1(FMF/EXW) J Davies

For those of you that have actually gone out of your way to ship HB to my military brothers...I thank you. The red, white and blue of 9/12/01 has faded and I know that we all appreciate your continued support.

V/R
HM1(FMF/EXW) J Davies
I was at my family reunion today and my uncle is involved in a program to send care packages to our troops at war. They send packages direct to soldiers by name so that they get them with in a week of being sent. Send me Names and the addresses of any soldiers you know that are over there. He will put them on their mailing list and see that they get some much wanted supplies, wet wipes, beef jerkey, dry soup mix, kool aid and tampons for the wounded soldiers. The tampoons are suppose to be the best thing in the field to help stop the bleeding from wounds. Get me those names and I will see to it they get some care packages.

During my 10.5 months over there getting a package from home was one of the high points of the week.

Stupid stuff, like recordings of tv shows with the commercials still there, were actually very very popular.

Most areas have AFN so there is TV, but amazingly enough you do start to miss a regular commercial now and then. AFN has no regular commercials ( unless you consider Univ of Phoenix a regular commercial) and they even cut out all the commercials during the superbowl.

Those little packages of koolaid you can put in a bottle of water are very popular. The chow halls usually provide crystal light and other sugerless mixes to dump in the water, but a lot of folks don't like them.

Send stuff that is from your local area. Green chili, pinon nuts, and dried red chili powder are what we send from New Mexico. Anything that can be used to spice up the food they serve. Mrs Dash, garlic salt, a pepper grinder ( you can get one in the spice isle of the grocery store for real cheep ).

All in all, we appreciate getting these packages from home. More than anything it helps ease the frustration we feel after watching the news media show story after story about how folks back home are getting angry about the war and protesting. A package from the US with a short note telling a Solder that somebody cares and is willing to send a little gift from home goes a long way to help morale.

During my 10.5 months over there getting a package from home was one of the high points of the week.

Stupid stuff, like recordings of tv shows with the commercials still there, were actually very very popular.

Most areas have AFN so there is TV, but amazingly enough you do start to miss a regular commercial now and then. AFN has no regular commercials ( unless you consider Univ of Phoenix a regular commercial) and they even cut out all the commercials during the superbowl.

Those little packages of koolaid you can put in a bottle of water are very popular. The chow halls usually provide crystal light and other sugerless mixes to dump in the water, but a lot of folks don't like them.

Send stuff that is from your local area. Green chili, pinon nuts, and dried red chili powder are what we send from New Mexico. Anything that can be used to spice up the food they serve. Mrs Dash, garlic salt, a pepper grinder ( you can get one in the spice isle of the grocery store for real cheep ).

All in all, we appreciate getting these packages from home. More than anything it helps ease the frustration we feel after watching the news media show story after story about how folks back home are getting angry about the war and protesting. A package from the US with a short note telling a Solder that somebody cares and is willing to send a little gift from home goes a long way to help morale.
Cake,

How about some names and APO addresses of some of your buddies or other soldiers you know are over there. I'll see that they are sent some care packages direct to them.

Ok, Here is an address for one of the young Airmen that replaced me when I left. He is a very intelligent young man with a promising career ahead of him.

Same addres, but different names:

MOD EDIT Keep all personal info in PMs, not on the board.

Got yet another fantastic package today. I think it is from Jonnio because of the AL address.

6 bottles of beer, 2 "N", 2 "A", and 2 "H" and a champagne bottle.

I am assuming the champagne bottle is Apfelwein, and I am guessing that A= Ale, H=Heffe, and N= no clue there!!

Just going to have to chill them down and try em out.

Thanks guys, my pallet has matured to the point that Bud Light turns my stomach now.

lol - I thought maybe I screwed up and forgot the letter I had written when I repacked the box.

Anyway
N - Nottingham IPA
H - Hobgoblin
A - Apfelwein
and the bottle is actually wine, a Riesling.

-Jonnio

This is awesome.. I would love to join the list of folks sending packages out.

The big problem is... I THINK it's illegal to ship alcohol in Massachusetts no matter if it's sold or just given.

I don't think UPS or Fed Ex will take it and I'm 99% positive that the post office won't.

Anyone from Mass know what I'm talking about?? Can lend some advice???

But this is the reason I've never mailed any beers I've made to friends or family that are out-of-state.

If I'm off base and it's not a problem, I would love to get in on sending out a package or two.

Great idea!

Hooray!! Got another package today !!!

This one from Mike in PA.

Another 6-pack of HomeBrew. Life is great!!!

Looks like 3 Bit, 2 Helles, and a B. Pils.

I will taste them and enjoy them all!!!

Thanks again.

Cake

I THINK it's illegal to ship alcohol in Massachusetts

So...Don't send Alcohol. I have shipped "LIVE YEAST SAMPLES" to Cakehole for inspection. Not really my problem if that yeast sample may have converted some of the culture to alcohol...and certainly not my issue if the recipient wanted to chill it and drink it from a nice tall glass.

So do I volunteer as a Soldier (SGT) or a volunteer? I'm a reservist so I don't have to go back until they call me, which could be anytime the way things are looking.

Cake -

I am signed up to ship to you and I haven't forgotten. I just had to replenish my supply! Within two weeks I'll be sending you 2 watermelon wheats, 2 Scottish, and 2 Brown Ales. When the call went out, I only had the WW ready and I just wanted to make the shipment worth it.

Hopefully, you've been kept busy with other beers in the meantime!

Awesome program guys, will be returning oct 2009, sent alamo a message. I was just thinking how its going to suck not having homebrew when I get back (except the 9-9-9 barleywine)

My heart goes out to the people that support the troups over there!

Back