The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at Firehouse in NorCal and saw two pallets of bombers of a Rye IPA by them. I was surprise because I never see there stuff bottled. I sit down and ask the waitress about it after she goes through their standard beer list.

"What's that Rye IPA in the back hall for? Is that available?"
(confused look) "Let me go check."
(she leaves and returns moments later...) "Our IPA today is the pale ale."

I wasn't in an educating mood so I just ordered that. Didn't bother asking what the soup de jour was.

It gets better when you go to a bar and when you ask the bartender/waitress why you got charged full price instead of the happy hour price for Sam Adams or worse yet Holy Mackerel (it sucks) which is local Ft. Lauderdale and they tell you it's an import.

For our bowling league, SWMBO and I order a pitcher of beer to share while playing. For each pitcher you get a card; get five cards, free pitcher of beer.

I gave my five cards to the bartender, and asked him if I could get any beer.

He said, "Yes, any domestic."
I asked, "Is Sam Adams considered domestic?"
He replied, "Yeah.... if we were in Boston."
I then asked, "Well, we aren't in Colorado, but I suppose you'll give me f**king Coors Light."

He stared at me for a few seconds...

Then I just said, "Gimme the f**king Coors."

I drank my free Coors.

One of my friends has been thinking of brewing but he dose not have the money to do it right. So this is how every conversation goes:

Hem "I've been brewing some frozen juice mix with sugar its real good."

I look at the water jug the juice is in. The top has a plastic bag with rubber bands holding it on. He then picks it up and shakes the sh@## out of it.

Me "Um you should really let the yeast set on the bottom".
Hem "O... you think so? cause it makes more gas if you shake it up.
I try sum and :eek: "Maybe you should put less sugar in it"
Hem "No I want a lot of alcohol in it"
I'm thinking WTF?

Is there a better way to get people to read up on how to brew things right? :ban:

If he gets rid of the pitcher and just puts it in a ziplock bag, he can hide it in his pillow so the screws won't find it.

No one has ever commented on my beer.. I've never let anyone else drink it.. It's all 'mine!'

I don't let them even 'see' it! I don't want them to know I have it... Because then they'd all want some.. But it's mine!

One of my friends has been thinking of brewing but he dose not have the money to do it right. So this is how every conversation goes:

Hem "I've been brewing some frozen juice mix with sugar its real good."

I look at the water jug the juice is in. The top has a plastic bag with rubber bands holding it on. He then picks it up and shakes the sh@## out of it.

Me "Um you should really let the yeast set on the bottom".
Hem "O... you think so? cause it makes more gas if you shake it up.
I try sum and :eek: "Maybe you should put less sugar in it"
Hem "No I want a lot of alcohol in it"
I'm thinking WTF?

Is there a better way to get people to read up on how to brew things right? :ban:

This isn't a stupid comment on your beer. Just you picking on your poor friend.

I told the sweeties at my local small town bank today that I was 'brewing beer' when they asked me what I was doing this weekend.. (and yes, I 'do' love my bank)

and one of them asked me.. "Isn't that dangerous, couldn't that explode?"

I said, "only if you keep the orifice closed too tight"
The girl at the next window cracked up (there's only two windows)...

I love my bank! :mug:

Haha, how am i just finding this thread now?!?

I have to agree, i've had dozens of "tastes like beer", and "i'm not a dark beer fan" comments from friends and relatives.

Cousin of mine took a drink of my 4-5% stout and said ''damn this thing is kicking my ass! I don't think I could drink more than one of these or I'd be crawling in the ground!''

I just got the "Oh, you like those thick, heavy, dark beers, eh" yesterday from a co worker. All I did was tell him I dont drink bud or coors. He just started with Mr. Beer kits, so hopefully he learns some stuff about beer soon

I had a cousin tell me my stout had an aftertaste "like rotting potatoes." He drank the entire pint so it couldn't have been that bad.

Brewed a Winter Ale this year for an xmas party. Had ginger, cloves, honey, cinnamon, and orange peel in it. One of my guests said it reminder her of Heineken.:confused:

Sister in law: "Oh my God, that kegerator looks awesome! Wow! So what do you have on tap?!"
Me: "Okay, I've got an IPA, a cider, a chocolate stout, a.."
Sister in law: "Wow!! Chocolate stout??!?! Chocolate?! Really? I'll try that!"
Me: "Sure!"

*pulls pint*

Sister in law: "Oh my GOD! This tastes like chocolate!!!"

*sigh*

My friend loves trying any beer I make. We had a party at his house and I brought a keg of my first AG batch, an APA. The next day he calls me:

Him: "Dude, your beer was awesome, but it got me drunk."
Me: *silence*
Him: "Yeah, pretend I didn't just sound like a f*&%ing idiot. How is your day going?"

I had my worst comment just the other day, I pulled a pint of a Stout I brewed and my buddy took a sip and looked at me for a second and said, "Hm, this tastes a little like Miller Light!"

.... what?

I have been asked about botulism in my beer, but had the answer.

My favorite reaction was when I gave my brother a vanilla porter I had brewed (knowing he doesn't like porter). After his first sip he said, "Does this beer have chocolate in it?"

My cousin came by later that night and brother says (pointing at me), "He made a beer with chocolate in it. It's weird."

Got one of the judging sheets back from a homebrew competition I entered (BJCP sanctioned event) for my Pumpkin Smoke Porter. Under the overall section the judge stated "Smoke does not need to be in their".

First of all, it's spelled, "THERE" not "their". Second of all, YES, THE SMOKE DOES NEED TO BE IN THERE!!! It is a pumpkin SMOKE porter!!!!!!!

Got one of the judging sheets back from a homebrew competition I entered (BJCP sanctioned event) for my Pumpkin Smoke Porter. Under the overall section the judge stated "Smoke does not need to be in their".

First of all, it's spelled, "THERE" not "their". Second of all, YES, THE SMOKE DOES NEED TO BE IN THERE!!! It is a pumpkin SMOKE porter!!!!!!!

What category was it entered under? It may have been wrong and the smoke was not to the style guidelines.

I can't access the page to check the styles but I think there is a smoked category, isn't there? But yours does sound more experimental with the pumpkin and all.

From the specialty category guidelines:
This is explicitly a catch-all category for any beer that does not fit into an existing style category. No beer is ever “out of style” in this category, unless it fits elsewhere.

The category is intended for any type of beer, including the following techniques or ingredients:

Combinations of other style categories (e.g., India Brown Ale, fruit-and-spice beers, smoked spiced beers)

maybe they meant it as, the smoke flavor doesn't go well with the rest of the beer.

just got a, the beer was pretty good, but why did you make it so dark? about my dry stout.

I stop the conversation when they ask me "do you make light or dark beer?"

I generally try to educate them a little. Frequently I get the deer in the headlight look, but occasionally I get some genuine interest. That usually keeps me trying.

I have yet to see genuine interest, which frustrates me a bit. I know so many people who drink beer, but not good beer. Actually a cousin of my wife drink good beer but thats about it. My boy likes some craft brews, but has no interest in hearing about styles. Theres just so much ignorance about beer. Im not knocking it, but i think most people see beer as a poor mans indulgence and thats sad.

I try to explain to people the complexity involved in making beer. Sure, anybody can make beer, but making great beer is a little more difficult. Much harder that making wine but yet theres more of a culture around wine. In part, i think we have bmc to thank for that.

Well, my neighbor batted 2 strikes and then hit a home run.

What are you cooking?

Beer. (short answer because I was looking up something on HBT.)

"Beer!" (she walks inside)

(she comes back out) "What kind of beer?"

A really big stout.

"Bleh!!" (strike 1) "Where do you buy the alcohol?" (strike 2!!)

Oh, the yeast make that!

"Hold on a minute! I have some empty grolsch bottles you can have if you want!" (HOME RUN!!!)

Well not necessarily a comment about my beer, but several times my dad has asked me if something was an Ale or a Beer... :drunk: I used to explain it but now I know he just means lager not beer.

Well not necessarily a comment about my beer, but several times my dad has asked me if something was an Ale or a Beer... :drunk: I used to explain it but now I know he just means lager not beer.

A note on this, I'm pretty sure these words didn't always have such a concrete meaning the way we understand them to. I can remember seeing some kind of ad for a grocery store that appeared to be from the 50's and a woman had a shopping cart with some cans labeled "beer" and some labeled "ale".

A note on this, I'm pretty sure these words didn't always have such a concrete meaning the way we understand them to. I can remember seeing some kind of ad for a grocery store that appeared to be from the 50's and a woman had a shopping cart with some cans labeled "beer" and some labeled "ale".

Because of antiquated laws in Texas (not positive they have not changed recently as I see tons of craft beer and imports being sold that I am sure are not labeled exclusively for the Lonestar) brews were labeled based on alcohol content. Beer was 4% or lower, Ale was higher, and I think Malt liquor for high ABV stuff. I am remembering this from the Everything Homebrewing Book by Drew Beechum I was perusing yesterday.

The point is a lot of older folks know various styles based on where they lived in the post prohibition F'ed up beer laws era.

My mother-in-law insisted on trying some of my English Brown Ale. Then upon tasting it: "You know what? Tastes just like Ballantine!"

And she meant it as a compliment. :confused:

Latest posts

Back