Can krausen be trusted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paparker21

Reaction score
So, we all know airlocks aren't to be trusted as an indicator of active fermentation or when the yeasty beasties are done; but what about krausen?

Basically, i've got a primary that, by the numbers, appears to be complete (actually over-attenuated) but i've still got a thin layer of krausen. Normally when i go to secondary the krausen is totally gone so i'm wondering if maybe i shouldn't give it a couple more days in primary.

It's a sessionable APA, OG .050, current, .016. Beersmith estimated @ .046 og and .015 final so i'm already over-attenuated relatively. This beer is still going to head to secondary for something like 10-14 days for dry hopping so it's got some more time to condition and clean itself up.

Reasons not to move over yet: i know that WL002 is quite a floculant strain and by moving off the trub and yeast cake, i'll lose a sizeable number of yeast that are still cleaning up diacetyl and other junk.

Concerns: my fermentation was not at all controlled. it started at 68 and show to 78 a day or two later and then fell slowly back down to 68 at which point i ceased to see airlock activity. Total 'active' fermentation has been about 10 days. with this wild fermentation, have I created lots of compounds that the remaining yeast can clean up or are most of them things that will linger regardless?

What would you guys do in this situation? I'm drawn both ways... it doesn't help that i'm very eager to get an APA on tap.

If you trust the accuracy of your Gravity measurement then I would move it. Depending on the style of beer perhaps its just the proteins holding a head on the beer. It doesn't have to be completely headless to transfer. Worst case you have throw a blow off on your secondary. Age it for a couple of weeks in secondary and it will be good.

Latest posts

Back