Yeast for Double Bastard Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmerrill

Reaction score
I am brewing a Double Bastard clone that should have a pretty high OG. I'm trying to figure out how to handle the yeast situation. The clone calls for a WLP California Ale V 051. Instead of just buying a new one and doing a yeast starter I was wondering about another option.

I just brewed a moderate gravity Lemon Grass Ginger Ale (low hops and same base malt) and fermented it with the same WLP California Ale V 051. My question is that when I move the Lemon Grass Ginger Ale (9-10 days) from primary to secondary fermentor can I just dump the brewed up wort for the Double Bastard on top of the remaining yeast from the primary fermentor? Will that be enough yeast to get the job done for a big beer (OG target of 1.103)?

Thanks for any input.

Believe that stone uses WLP007, or something similar in a proprietary yeast for their beers. Never done Double Bastard before, but have done it in an AB clone.

As to your question on reuse of the yeast, I'd wash it first and only use the prescribed amount via MrMalty.com. When I read Lemon Grass I don't want anything close to that in my DB...

Rmerrill - did you brew the Double Bastard clone? Can you post the recipe? How did it turn out?

Latest posts

Back