quick cider fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstrawn

Reaction score
I've done about 3 batches of cider so far, and I've tryed to produce them just about as fast as possible. I added the apple juice and 6 cups of sugar, then bottled it when the gravity read about 1.016 since i was making a sweet cider. Bottled it and pastuerized it within a few days and it cleared up with within about 3 weeks of bottle conditioning. I was wondering whether others had gone this quick fermentation route, and why i hadn't heard of anyone else trying this?

Some of mine go extremely fast (2 - 3 weeks) when I'm using nutrients. I guess no one has does this because it tastes like rocket fuel when it comes out of the fermenter that quick. I would prefer 100x over to drink something with at least a few months age on it than something that was bottled as soon as primary fermentation is over.

hmm. mine was fine actually, i think the reason was that i didnt allow it to ferment completely dry. Im currently fermenting a cranberry cyser that I think ill let age for a few months. Maybe i just dont know what im missing

This is a method that some use, there's no reason it won't be a decent drink but pasteurising carbonated cider is a bit scary for most people, the pressure that develops is very high and so is the risk of explosion. Natural sweetness is a bit nicer than backsweetening. You definitely have less risk of the batch going off.

Latest posts

Back