Carboy and Keg Auto-Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimWeber

Reaction score
Ok, I really can't take credit for this since I got the idea from here http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blogs/carboy-and-keg-washer

I made a couple little changes. I did not add the keg in and out lines since I would rather take these apart each time. I have an interchangeable nozzle, it has a 1/2" NPT fitting. At some point I want to add a spay ball. My buddy is an engineer at a CIP ball manufacture.

photoqs.jpg

Here is a video of it working!

watch

Nice!!! I was thinking of building a washer right into my laundry tub. Two valves on the side to feed in/out to and from pump on my Brutus 10 stand. I think I like your idea a little better won't have to worry about leaks.

The thing doesn't leak at all. I was really surprised. All together it cost around $100, maybe $120 to build. It was about $60 for the pump and $50 for the fittings. Best thing I ever built!

I don't think a march pump would work nearly as well. The sump pump is super powerful at half the price of a march pump. The pump is 1/3 HP and will move 56 GPM. When it gets warm out, I want to see how far it will shoot up.

I am going to goof around with different nozzles now.

Piece of advice for everyone out there thinking of making one of these--make sure your upspout pipe/tube is not too wide. I made one of these with all PVC, but the tube that shoots the water up is too thick and blocks the outflow of the water out of the carboy neck. It flows, but not enough to keep up with the water going in. Too much pressure builds up inside the carboy and... you get the idea...

Mine is now only used to clean cornys...

Mine is 1/2" OD. Seems to leave a lot of clearance for water out flow. I replace the nozzel so it doesn't shoot up now. I drilled 8 holes around the axis every inche, put a cap on the top, and drilled a small hole in the top. The thing is a beast now!

At some point I want to add a spay ball. My buddy is an engineer at a CIP ball manufacture.

Did you ever end up with a CIP solution? If so, how did it work out? I'm planning on doing something similar to the version on the same site you drew inspiration from, but add this McMaster-Carr CIP nozzle.

thats a pretty awesome use for a sump pump. i have one that is just lying around, and if this need arises, i'll know what to do with that pump now..thanks

I like it! You might try drilling a few SMALL holes about halfway up. As long as the water flow is not restricted, air will be sucked in and all of the little bubbles will really improve the scrubbing power of the water stream.

I like it! You might try drilling a few SMALL holes about halfway up. As long as the water flow is not restricted, air will be sucked in and all of the little bubbles will really improve the scrubbing power of the water stream.

I think there would be too much restriction to allow a venturi effect

Does anyone have any comments for the use of these sump pumps with cleaning solutions like PBW and starsan? If you read the paperwork on these sump pumps they say no caustic cleaners should be run through them, I think PBW falls under that. Then starsan, i have no idea if this can harm the pump.

Also, what about the temperature of the liquid. Most sump pumps run with a max temp of 120. We want PBW to be as hot as possible. Regardless, if you run the pump for a while the pump will warm the water itself and may exceed 120 degrees.

Is any of this at all worth worrying about?

I just bought the 1/3 hp wayne sump pump.

I haven't had any issues with running anything through mine at any temperature, though my pump lists the same restrictions. PBW is not a caustic.

Does anyone have any comments for the use of these sump pumps with cleaning solutions like PBW and starsan? If you read the paperwork on these sump pumps they say no caustic cleaners should be run through them, I think PBW falls under that. Then starsan, i have no idea if this can harm the pump.

Also, what about the temperature of the liquid. Most sump pumps run with a max temp of 120. We want PBW to be as hot as possible. Regardless, if you run the pump for a while the pump will warm the water itself and may exceed 120 degrees.

Is any of this at all worth worrying about?

I just bought the 1/3 hp wayne sump pump.

I haven't had any issues with running anything through mine at any temperature, though my pump lists the same restrictions. PBW is not a caustic.

I agree with PBW and Star San not being caustic. Caustic chemicals are generally strong bases such as Sodium Hydroxide. As neither cause burns, I think that using them with the pump would be fine.

PBW is an alkaline cleaner not caustic and will not hurt the pump. But it will foam like a mother. I have yet to find a cheap easy to get cleaner for my CIP. The best I have used is the dishwasher drop in packs. I know, I know, the additives will kill my head retention, or so you would think. I have had no problems though so I'm not to worried.

If you are going to use a pump like this make sure it's oil-less. The last thing you want is a seal to fail and coat your fermenter/keg with oil (had that happen with my first pump).

If you are going to use a pump like this make sure it's oil-less. The last thing you want is a seal to fail and coat your fermenter/keg with oil (had that happen with my first pump).

What kind of pump did you get? As I've been looking at building one of these, I've been worried about that and haven't found a pump that I could tell would work.

Back