what's the fastest you had fermentation start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
Just brewed up midwest's liberty cream ale which i modified. I had a 1L starter of washed 1056 which i prepped 24 hours prior. I added yeast energizer enough for the full 5 gallons, aerated with the wine whip before pitching and again right after. Airlock activity started within 3 hours... i was shocked.

Dammit.... Thats quick. How strong is that yeast when it is fermenting a batch? Is it an agressive bubbler or a slow consistent plodder usually?
Bob

Based on the amount if yeast you likely pitched that sounds right. Second plus gen yeast are strong!

I've had a bubble or two as quick as two hours with some Bell's I bottle harvested and bumped up 4 times.

3 hours 2 hours 30 minutes it´s nothing i had a beer once that started fermenting 24hs before I even crushed the grain :D:ban:

If you get a good starter going, it'll technically be fermenting before you even pitch, and you can see bubbles less than an hour into it sometimes.

Just be careful about the temperature, in my experience, short lag time = vigorous fermentation = more heat generated.

Dougan said:
If you get a good starter going, it'll technically be fermenting before you even pitch, and you can see bubbles less than an hour into it sometimes.

Just be careful about the temperature, in my experience, short lag time = vigorous fermentation = more heat generated.

I have it in my garage with outside temps staying in the 60s to mid 70s during the day and 50s overnight... i would have swamp cooled if temps were higher.

Rbeckett said:
Dammit.... Thats quick. How strong is that yeast when it is fermenting a batch? Is it an agressive bubbler or a slow consistent plodder usually?
Bob

I believe the wyeast 1056 is pretty aggressive normally. It has been bubbling at a fairly steady rate 1-2bubbles/sec

Safale-05, dry yeast - used it twice so far in NB's Pumpkin Smash (OG 1.049) and Black IPA (OG supposed to be 1.069, IIRC; wound up being 1.095 due to not accounting for boil off).

I rehydrated the yeast before pitching, and had fermentation bubbles in my blow off tube about 2-3 hrs after pitching

If you get a good starter going, it'll technically be fermenting before you even pitch...

This statement doesn't make any sense to me. How can the beer be fermenting before the yeast is pitched.

To answer the OP's question, I once had take off in less than hour with a healthy starter.*

*Yes, I see the irony of that answer.

nukebrewer said:
This statement doesn't make any sense to me. How can the beer be fermenting before the yeast is pitched.

To answer the OP's question, I once had take off in less than hour with a healthy starter.*

*Yes, I see the irony of that answer.

I had a little trouble understanding that one too... i think that maybe if you have a decent sized starter that is technically fermenting before you pitch... idk

My high gravity wheat had about a half inch of krausen and bubbling within 2 hrs - assisted by a healthy 1G starter. WLP300 took it from 1.084 to 1.012.

I had a little trouble understanding that one too... i think that maybe if you have a decent sized starter that is technically fermenting before you pitch... idk

I'm not going to hurt my brain trying to figure it out, haha. I'll just wait for Dougan to explain the statement. I'm sure it has a perfectly logical basis.

Had to comment on this thread.

I had the fastest fermentation start I've ever seen this past weekend using 4th generation Nottingham ale yeast.

Beer is a Pale Ale 1.052 OG.

I pitched a 2L starter of washed yeast to my 10.5 gallon batch before I went to sleep that night and 7 hours later when I checked it I had 1/2" of krausen and HEAVY churning within the wort, airlock going nuts! When they say that older generations of yeast are quick they mean it!

when i pitch at high krausen, i've had less than 3 hours. when i pitch stored yeast (even if it is a lot) it seems like the lag times are more like 18-24 hours.

the first time I used 1007 (also the first time a blow-off was required), it took off in under 3 hours. I was baffled.

My most recent batch started bubbling almost immediately. Belgian Tripel with a big starter of WY3787; on brew day, I decanted and then took a couple quarts of extra runnings (boiled/cooled) and pitched it into the starter to give it a head start. Had some definitely activity by the time I pitched into the carboy, which then seriously took off - bubbles within the hour.

Don't know for sure...but something less than roughly 7 hours from the time I pitched until I checked it in the morning and there was clear activity .

I pitch on yeast cakes often and with a fresh one I usually have activity within an hour. Fun!

I can relate to this. I've just tried a couple yeastcakes recently and the first was churning within 3 hours, and most recently I noticed churning in 1.5 hours. Aside from the cakes, the best times I can recall with liquid yeast starters is in the 6-7 hour range. I figure as long as I'm seeing some activity within about 12 hours I'm pretty happy.

I brewed a 3bbl batch (forget what kind), pitched yeast and by the time I was done with cleanup and paperwork (about 3hrs later) I had vigurous airlock activity showing.

Can't say I have had that since that time though, usual is about 12hrs or so for activity in airlock.

Just brewed up midwest's liberty cream ale which i modified. I had a 1L starter of washed 1056 which i prepped 24 hours prior. I added yeast energizer enough for the full 5 gallons, aerated with the wine whip before pitching and again right after. Airlock activity started within 3 hours... i was shocked.

I've had fermentations start that quickly before.

Back