Rack Yeast Cake and Krausen With Fruit Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
On my 5th batch, I feel that I am getting better and better with each batch. But, alas, I seem to have a question that needs to be answered. I am making a apricot hefewiezen, and I have a question concerning the racking.

The recipe I have is off of Brewing Classic Styles. The recipe calls for racking the beer once active fermentation has slowed a bit, onto apricot puree that will already be in my secondary. But the question is, do I rack everything into the secondary? Do I leave the krausen and the yeast cake behind, or do I rack that right onto my apricot puree? What would the difference be if I did do it this way vs. not racking the krausen and yeast cake? Thanks for any help guys, the forum always makes my beer better.

Thanks David, do you think I should wait till the krausen falls or before?

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still somewhat of a beginner brewer, but surely you shouldn't be racking to secondary until primary fermentation is complete ie the krausen has fallen days ago and you've reached your final gravity?

From what I've heard and read, this second stage is not for clearing as it is with other secondaries, it's another fermentation in which the yeast will eat the fructose in the fruit along with the sugars in the wort. Correct?

From what I've heard and read, this second stage is not for clearing as it is with other secondaries, it's another fermentation in which the yeast will eat the fructose in the fruit along with the sugars in the wort. Correct?

this is true, but you should still wait until the krausen has fallen. there will still be plenty of yeast in suspension to eat the fruity sugars...

Back