Looking for hops suggestions - hoppy blond?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjbalough

Reaction score
I plan on making an ale of some sort (5 gal) using 5lbs Breiss Vienna & 5 lbs Breiss Pilsner malts that I have on hand. Will use white labs 001 for the yeast.

My vision is a croud pleaser summer/lawn mower beer. So, can anyone offer some suggestions for hops? Has anyone worked with motueka -the description of lemon- lime with tropical fruit sounds good. Perhaps bittering with centennial, then small flavor addition of centennial and motueka, and late additions of the motueka? I think I like the idea of a slightly hoppy blonde, just bitter enough to balance. Thanks for any imput

I like your idea. Motueka is an awesome hop, works very well in a dry hop. Before reading the post, I was going to suggest Centennial. I think it will pair well with the Motueka also. When are you planning on adding the "flavor addition"?

Ive done one with Mandarina Bavaria. Bittered with hallertau then 1oz of MB at flameout and 1oz dryhop. Turned out great, very citrusy.

Your idea sounds good though. Ive had a pilsner dryhopped with motueka from fourpure that was very good.

Mabe somthing like :
.25oz centennial @ 60,
.25 oz centennial @ 30,
.25 oz motueka @ 20,
.25 oz motueka @ 5,
and .5oz motueka at flame out? ( just tossing this out, I'm at work and haven't looked at what this will do for ibu)

That'll work. I was thinking something like this:

.5 oz Centennial @ 60
.5 oz Centennial @ 15
.5 oz Motueka @ 10 and 5
1 oz each at Flameout.

Dry hop w/ 1 oz each 5 days before bottling/kegging.

This should get you around 30 IBU and a nice hop presence, but not overwhelming.

I don't have any great suggestions for you. I think Blonde Ale should be a great style to accentuate any fruity/aromatic hops. Never used Motueka but from the descriptions it would fit the concept. My next brew will be a Blonde Ale with Azacca, but I was also thinking of Cascade, and there is a popular recipe in this forum for a Centennial Blonde.

I ran the hops in brew toad and came up with 28 ibu using this:

.3oz centennial @ 60
.5 oz centennial @ 25
.5 oz motueka @ 15
.5 oz motueka @ 0
.2 oz centennial @ 0

How's that look? Adds up to 1 oz of each hop.

Hanuswalrus, would your schedule make more of a session IPA? That would be good too.....

I guess you could call it a session IPA if you wanted to. I would lean more towards calling it a hoppy blonde. A session IPA, to me, would have a bit more IBU (40-50), and a bit more late hops/dry hops.

Ive done one with Mandarina Bavaria. Bittered with hallertau then 1oz of MB at flameout and 1oz dryhop. Turned out great, very citrusy.

Your idea sounds good though. Ive had a pilsner dryhopped with motueka from fourpure that was very good.

+1, ive used this in some weizenbier, citrusy.

MajorDutch - would you care to share that recipe? ......madcow, I'd love to see yours too! I plan on brewing a few summer friendly batches sooner rather than later...... Last year time got away from me and I didn't get to do any summer beers...this year I want to get some brewed or at least have ingredients on hand to force the issue and make sure I have plenty in the pipeline.

Probably not what you are looking for since it's not citrusy, but I visited a new brewpub last night for the first time and really enjoyed their "Liberty Blonde" which I believe used all Liberty hops. At least the description didn't mention any others.

I think one reason I enjoyed it so much is that I may well be on the verge of "citrus overload" :D

I did magnum for bittering and galaxy. I will say this... dry hopping was too strong in my blonde and completely overwhelmed the brew. Next time I wouldn't do more than an ounce tops at dry hopping.

Latest posts

Back