worst case scenario

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3uerger

Reaction score
You start brewing and realize that you got shorted and only half 1/2 the hops you need... what do you do?

A Use the hops for bittering
B Use the hops for finishing
C Split them up and use a little for both
D just throw away the steeped grains and slap pack and wait for more hops

l3uerger said:
You start brewing and realize that you got shorted and only half 1/2 the hops you need... what do you do?

A Use the hops for bittering
B Use the hops for finishing
C Split them up and use a little for both
D just throw away the steeped grains and slap pack and wait for more hops

By no stretch of the imagination am I an expert on the subject but I just had this happen to me this weekend making an Oatmeal Stout.

Couple things.
From what I have read, you can keep the unboiled wort for a few days. I would not leave the wort on the grains. No idea what kind of flavors you would get from that.
or
Depending on what your tastes are. You can use most for Bittering (3/4) and then the rest for finish.
or
(This is what I did) Leave out the Finish and dry hop it later that day when you get more hops.

But for GODS SAKE! Dont Throw out the wort! :D

The first thing you should do is learn the lesson to always check that you have everything on hand that you're going to need before you start pouring water or turn on the stove.

The second thing to do is learn the lesson to keep some miscellaneous brewing supplies on hand.

yeah i really should have checked it but oh well live and learn think i'm just going to do 3/4 bittering and 1/4 finishing should be interesting to see what it's like.

l3uerger said:
yeah i really should have checked it but oh well live and learn think i'm just going to do 3/4 bittering and 1/4 finishing should be interesting to see what it's like.

Should be fine! When it turns out better than expected, Document it so you can reproduce it.

My personal tastes dictate that I use less Hops than the recipe calls for. Usualy by a 1/4 oz. But that is just me! :rockin:

Back