Wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugsyboy

Reaction score
Hi Newbie about to embark on my first batch, a 5 day pinot grigio kit from Cantina
I have lots of sscrwcap wine bottles. I have rinsed them. How clean do they need to be? Should I use the dishwasher? Is it okay to reuse screwcap bottles or should use corks?

Thanks

Paul

Your bottles should be super clean to prevent any off flavors or contamination. I always wash my bottles by hand and run them through the sanitize setting on my dishwasher. After this i give a quick soak in star-san before I bottle. After all the work and time involved with brewing, i would hate to lose a batch due to bottle problems. Maybe i get carried away, but to me its worth the effort.:mug:

Bugsyboy said:
Hi Newbie about to embark on my first batch, a 5 day pinot grigio kit from Cantina
I have lots of sscrwcap wine bottles. I have rinsed them. How clean do they need to be? Should I use the dishwasher? Is it okay to reuse screwcap bottles or should use corks?

Thanks

Paul

I dunno about wine but in beer you don't want to use dish soap. Oxyclean to clean the bottles, rinse, starsan.

First, let me say that I am newer than you. But, the man that runs the local brew shop told me it is dangerous to bottle beer in wine bottles because they are not strong enough. Maybe you should check if someone before you bottle.

First, let me say that I am newer than you. But, the man that runs the local brew shop told me it is dangerous to bottle beer in wine bottles because they are not strong enough. Maybe you should check if someone before you bottle.

That's a wine kit, so the bottles should be fine. A screw top may not seal well, though. If you're aging the wine at all, I"d suggest corks. Sometimes you can rent or borrow a good corker from a homebrew store, which makes life a lot easier!

ScooterBrewer said:

He mentioned it was a pinot grigio kit.

StarSan.jpg

Back