Riesling Pyment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texron

Reaction score
Hello all. I am considering a Riesling Pyment-the following recipee is what I am thinking of:

1 can Alexanders Johanisburg Riesling Concentrate
9 lbs Wildflower Honey
1 Tb pectic enzyme
2 Tb Acid Blend
1 Pkt D-47 yeast
Water to 5 1/2 gallons

Your comments or suggestions please. I wonder if I should start with less honey???

Would this be a good recipee to add cherries, blueberries or another fruit to? If so what about a jar of E.W. Knudsen juice?

I appreciate all suggestions or help.

I'd skip the acid blend. With a Riesling, you may not need it at all. If you do, you can add it to taste when the fermentation is finished. If your wildflower honey happens to be very dark and strong, it may not complement the Riesling.

Thanks guys. The honey is dark, similar in color to coke syrup. But I don't know if its "strong". Its very tasty though. How much color can I expect to loose in fermentation? I was thinking it would have a golden color in the end.

I have one that is currently in secondary that I started in January. I used a RJ Spagnol;s Johannis Riesling kit that was designed for 6 gal. I used it plus the 6 lbs orange blossom honey and topped up to 5 gal. When I racked from the primary to secondary I added an extra pound of honey. I agree with MedsenFey, that dark honey may do weird things with your Riesling tastes. Experimentation can equal success though.

You can expect to lose some color from each ingredient, how much is unknown. The color of mine currently looks like a urine sample from someone with a urinary tract infection.

GTG

Dark honey usually tastes great, but when you remove all the sugar and taste what's left it may or may not be good dry. If you you've made a dry mead with that honey before and you like the flavor, it will be no problem.

Dark honey usually tastes great, but when you remove all the sugar and taste what's left it may or may not be good dry. If you you've made a dry mead with that honey before and you like the flavor, it will be no problem.

I appreciate everyones reply. I have never made anything from this honey, but have 8 gallons of it. Once it is fermented dry, can't I stabilze and back sweeten to taste. My thoughts were to hold the alcohol to something reasonable and backsweeten as neccesary.

Well, its underway. I simply made it with a can of Alexanders Johanisburg Riesling Concentrate and enough honey to bring it an O.G. of 1.080. Probably a little more than six pounds. I wound up using a Cotes De Blanc Yeast packet so it's wait and see time.

Incidently, I used a light colored Indonesian Floral Honey I got from the Agri Division where I work. Since these were "retain" samples from a quality inspection one of their inspectors did I am calling this "Retain Riesling Mead".

How did this turn out for you? I am hoping to go pick up 5 gallons of fresh Riesling juice and want to use it in a pyment.

Back