Yeast / Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnolan36

Reaction score
Yeast / Fermentation Question

So yesterday I brewed an American Wheat / Hefeweizen type beer, kinda a mix of the two I guess. Anyways, the yeast I used was Safbrew WB-06. I rehydrated it as the package instructed and pitched it. Due to lack of fermenting fridge/freezer, I placed my fermenting bucket in plastic container filled with water and some bottles of frozen water. The package states "Recommended fermentation temperature: 15C – 24C (59-75F)". When I left for work this morning the the water temperature in the ice bath was around 65 degrees and it was down to about 60 last night but I removed the ice while I checked here and then will go from there.

For an ice bath do you add ice and water? I just brewed a beer yesterday and have it in a plastic container filled with water and frozen water bottles so the water level is the same as the beer in the fermenter. I want to ferment between 68-70 degrees and the water in the ice bath is currently about 65 degrees or it was when I left for work.

Thanks

How many soda bottles do you normally use at a time? I had four 20 oz gatorade bottles in there and it dropped the water down to about 62-65 degrees.

Depends on the temperature.
Eight coke bottles will get 80F wort down to 60F in four or five hours.
If the room is the right temperature, I use one 20oz bottle every eight hours during peak fermentation.

Back