Chlorine Disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrim001

Reaction score
I sanitized a carboy with bleach and it smells like bleach now after rinsing it out. I've rinsed with water but it still smells. Will this be enough chlorine to alter the taste of the beer?

if you can smell it youll be able to taste it, rinse it again and again until its gone. next time use less bleach or go star san, i ruined a batch with chlorine once

Rinse, rinse, rinse...rinse again.

Even a diluted bleach solution takes a bit of rinsing to get out of there.

After a couple lacto infected batches I bleached my fermenters. My old procedure (pre-StarSan) was to rinse with a bunch in cold water, then warm it up and use hot, then cool it down and use cold again until I could not smell any bleach.

Well, with my recent return to using some bleach, it dawned on me that we use camden tablets to remove bleach and chloramines from our brewing water, so I thought, let's give that a shot for a rinse aid. I did a normal cold water rinse, and could still smell some bleach I took a pinch of camden (I have metabisulfite powder) and put it in the carboy with a couple cups of water, put a cap on and gave it a good shake. I drained and rinsed and NO bleach smell. A little bit of sulfur though. This was followed by a normal StarSan sanitizing and no sulfur aroma was left over.

This is not something I would do routinely, but for the occasional thorough cleaning followed by aggressive sanitation this appears to work well. Lactobacillus will form spores that are difficult to kill and I'm suspicious this was my culprit as I had autoclaved everything else. Bleach will kill the spores where many other sanitizers will not. So far so good.

Fill it with water and let it sit a day. Then rinse it and see if it still smells. Bleach tends to dissipate (in odor and in potency) over time.

Also an option, sometimes leaving it in the sunlight will help reduce the chlorine smell quite a bit.

Fill it with water and let it sit a day. Then rinse it and see if it still smells. Bleach tends to dissipate (in odor and in potency) over time.

Also an option, sometimes leaving it in the sunlight will help reduce the chlorine smell quite a bit.

+1
in the sun if possible. I have heard/read that sunlight breaks down bleach (source needed).

Also, a little StarSan (acid) might help knock back the bleach (base).

Latest posts

Back