Primary vs Secondary vs Keg Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorpandolfo

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of different versions or preferences when it comes to time spent in primary fermentation as well as secondary and the keg. Now, if I'm correct, the simple standard is one week in primary, one week in secondary and two weeks carbonating in the keg. But from that standard I've heard of people preferring up to a month in primary, or a friend recently told me to hold my pale ale in the keg for 3-4 weeks.

Come someone explain the benefit of letting the beer sit longer in all three of these stages?

I think it's been discussed to death on here for the last 4 years (we pioneered the idea of long primary no secondary and the myth of autloysis here), and there are literally thousands of discussions on this site about it. With most of them having great info usually contributed by me in there. This has been discussed, argued, and debated ad-nauseum, til there's really nothing more to say.

This thread is about the best, and has the most rescent discussions and info on it https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/s...amil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/?highlight=jamil

More and more recips including some from Northern Brewers, those appearing in BYO, as well as online are beginning to recommend no secondaries and 3-4 week primaries, which reflects the shift in culture on this topic.

If you arbitrarily move your beer, like to follow the silly 1-2-3 rule, you will often interrupt fermentation. Because sometimes the yeast won't even begin to ferment your beer until 72 hours after yeast pitch, so if you rush the beer off the yeast on day 7 then you are only allowing the yeast a few days to work.

Besides, fermenting the beer is just a part of what the yeast do. If you leave the beer alone, they will go back and clean up the byproducts of fermentation that often lead to off flavors. That's why many brewers skip secondary and leave our beers alone in primary for a month. It leaves plenty of time for the yeast to ferment, clean up after themselves and then fall out, leveing our beers crystal clear, with a tight yeast cake.

I think it's been discussed to death on here for the last 4 years (we pioneered the idea of long primary no secondary and the myth of autloysis here), and there are literally thousands of discussions on this site about it. With most of them having great info usually contributed by me in there. This has been discussed, argued, and debated ad-nauseum, til there's really nothing more to say.

This thread is about the best, and has the most rescent discussions and info on it https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/s...amil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/?highlight=jamil

More and more recips including some from Northern Brewers, those appearing in BYO, as well as online are beginning to recommend no secondaries and 3-4 week primaries, which reflects the shift in culture on this topic.

If you arbitrarily move your beer, like to follow the silly 1-2-3 rule, you will often interrupt fermentation. Because sometimes the yeast won't even begin to ferment your beer until 72 hours after yeast pitch, so if you rush the beer off the yeast on day 7 then you are only allowing the yeast a few days to work.

Besides, fermenting the beer is just a part of what the yeast do. If you leave the beer alone, they will go back and clean up the byproducts of fermentation that often lead to off flavors. That's why many brewers skip secondary and leave our beers alone in primary for a month. It leaves plenty of time for the yeast to ferment, clean up after themselves and then fall out, leveing our beers crystal clear, with a tight yeast cake.

I brought a few different bottles/styles to my LHBS on Friday to get an opinion of how I was doing (I'm very new to this) and when I mentioned that I do NOT use a secondary, they all scoffed at me as if I was doing something wrong =(

I prefer to use all my fermenters for brewing as needed, rather than making sure I had one available for a secondary. I guess to each, is own, but I but I want to brew!

(By the way, I received pretty nice reviews on those beers, and they were all in primary for 3 weeks minimum, no secondary)

I brought a few different bottles/styles to my LHBS on Friday to get an opinion of how I was doing (I'm very new to this) and when I mentioned that I do NOT use a secondary, they all scoffed at me as if I was doing something wrong =(

Well, they are then obviously stuck in that old school mentality/believe that the yeast is evil, and contact with it should be avoided. Just because you work in a store doesn't mean you are up on the lastest ideas in brewing..Which as shown in the jamil thread, even palmer and jamil have shifted their opinions on that topic. Things change, but that doesn't mean every old dog even wants to learn the new tricks. :rolleyes:

"Ya, you want to get it off the yeast after a week or so..."

Whatevs...I made beer. It tasted good. My friends an SWMBO liked it. Life is good.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat. I'm not changing anything yet.

Back