Help with BJCP classification for a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed this ale, and it's turned out so good that I'm entering it in a competition. However, I need some help finding out which BJCP category it will do best in.

It's basically a blonde ale, except that I dry hopped it with cascades, so it has a really prevalent and wonderful hop aroma and citrusy taste. I also used the gelatin trick, so it is crystal clear. The carapils also really make a nice head.

OG: 1.040
FG: 1.008
IBUs: 25-30
SRM: 4-5
Carbonation: 3.5 volumes

63% Pale 2-row
16% Carapils
6% Crystal 10L
16% Vienna

Nottingham.

Cascade 7.1% at 60, 15, 3 minutes (equal quantities). Also, dry hopped at 5g/gal with the same hops for 1 week before bottling.

OK, equal quantities, but how much. .25oz is a lot different than 1 oz. And 5g per gallon dry hopping, so that would be 25g in a typical 5 gallon batch? What is the batch size? Not sure why you seem to be holding back on the recipe details, but I don't see this falling into any category, although your taste description and grain bill does reflect APA.

Holding back details? The only thing that's important in a recipe are ratios of ingredients to either the batch size, or to the other ingredients. I keep notes this way so I can easily make any size batch I want, and easily adjust the ratios to change the taste. But, this specific batch was a 2 gallon one, and the hop additions were 0.2 oz.

Thanks BrewMeister49!

Nottingham.

Cascade 7.1% at 60, 15, 3 minutes (equal quantities). Also, dry hopped at 5g/gal with the same hops for 1 week before bottling.

I think the issue here is that you don't tell us at first the amount of hops and batch size, even in ratio.

In any case it sounds like an American Pale Ale as mentioned, though even for that you may be light on the hops. It does sound tasty though :)

batch sizes and all that are irrelivent, he gives us the OG, SRM, IBU's and the percentages of grains and malts. It would be the same percentages regardless of the size :) it does sound tasty! good luck on your comp!

Back