StarSan Bottle Measuring Thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
Feel like an idiot here, but how do you use the little measuring chamber on the StarSan bottle? On the right in the photo.

starsan2.jpg

I'm tilting it, unscrewing caps and I can't figure it out.

TIA

I think it's a genius package, and I don't even particularly like starsan.

I have a small bucket that I marked the 2.5 gallon line. I use that and add a tablespoon of Starsan. I don't need more than that to do my sanitizing and it works great. The best thing is the Starsan lasts a long time. A quart bottle will last over a year for a frequent brewer who uses it properly.

Thank you for this post! This has been bugging me for a long time. I tried tilting the bottle every which way, with caps open or closed. Even had a friend try to figure it out as well and neither of us could get it. We didn't think of squeezing it. Seems so obvious now, but they should really think about adding a sentence explaining that on the bottle!

Haha, I was waiting for someone to ask this! I though I was the only one. I eventually said f' it and started measuring it out with a tablespoon

Sorry to necro-bump this but, so is that measuring chamber supposed to be what you'd use for a 5 gallon batch of starsan/water mixture?

If so, I've been using way too little.

Thanks, vtchuck, for asking this question in the first place! Now I don't feel so alone! And thanks to Burgs for bumping the thread into the limelight! You guys are great!

glenn514:mug:

The mix ratio is right on the bottle. The portioning chamber is marked. I believe it's 1 ounce per 5 gallons. I usually only use a 1/4 ounce at a time. I rarely mix any more than a gallon.

The mix ratio is right on the bottle. The portioning chamber is marked. I believe it's 1 ounce per 5 gallons. I usually only use a 1/4 ounce at a time. I rarely mix any more than a gallon.

Me, too, and THIS. Once I started spraying all the big stuff, I only need a gallon of Star San mix at a time, and it usually lasts through 3 or 4 operations. The little chamber is clearly marked at 1/4 oz., and that's what I've been using for over two years (and there's still a lot of SS concentrate in the small bottle I bought).

The only problem with the bottle it comes in is figuring out how to use it. I was trying to do it with the cap on at first.....:cross:

I don't have that style bottle - mine is an itty bitty one that came with an equipment kit, that's why I was wondering.

I had a problem reading the instructions on the clear bottle, until a friend told me to hold it up to a light source. Talk about a duh moment. :drunk:

measuring, schmeasuring ... I wrote a little note on my bottle that a capful is about 1/2 an oz (a little less, but close enough), which is the amount to add to 2-2.5 gallons H20. Dump a capful into a fermenting bucket, fill the bucket with about 2-2.5 gallons water, good to go. No need to even use the measuring chamber. Just keeps things a little cleaner.

Searching is the way to go it seems. I was about to ask the same question.

I have five of these. It is a small, clear, plastic measuring cup and it is perfect for measuring precise amounts of star san. I have five because I used to have one, then I lost it. That sucked, so I bought five so I would never worry about losing one.

Eric

measuring, schmeasuring ... I wrote a little note on my bottle that a capful is about 1/2 an oz (a little less, but close enough), which is the amount to add to 2-2.5 gallons H20. Dump a capful into a fermenting bucket, fill the bucket with about 2-2.5 gallons water, good to go. No need to even use the measuring chamber. Just keeps things a little cleaner.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't use the measuring device built into the bottle?
You obviously trust the science that was used to develop StarSan, why would you potentially mess with the ratio? You said, you mix a little less than 1/2 an ounce and fill the bucket with about 2-2.5 gallons... Any idea at what ratio it becomes ineffective? Or at what ratio it is no longer no-rinse? I don't know the answer to either question but assume, the guys that developed the product do... and they put the correct ratio on the bottle.

You only get one chance at santitization... If you find later you have a problem, its too late your beer is ruined. This stuff is not like adding chilli powder, until you get the taste you want.

I guess it'd be different if the measuring tool wasn't built into the container.

Sorry... Rant over... :eek:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't use the measuring device built into the bottle?
You obviously trust the science that was used to develop StarSan, why would you potentially mess with the ratio? You said, you mix a little less than 1/2 an ounce and fill the bucket with about 2-2.5 gallons... Any idea at what ratio it becomes ineffective? Or at what ratio it is no longer no-rinse? I don't know the answer to either question but assume, the guys that developed the product do... and they put the correct ratio on the bottle.

You only get one chance at santitization... If you find later you have a problem, its too late your beer is ruined. This stuff is not like adding chilli powder, until you get the taste you want.

I guess it'd be different if the measuring tool wasn't built into the container.

Sorry... Rant over... :eek:

I guess I just don't worry about it too much. Given that liquid can expand and contract at different temperatures, and that markings on a plastic bottle themselves can only give you a rough estimate (how much time do you spend eyeballing the level? The line is at least a mm think - do you spend 15 minutes pouring minute amounts in and out trying to reach the exact middle of the line? If so, have you calibrated that line to ensure that it gives you exactly 1 oz? How much time do you spend trying to wash all the starsan out of the measuring container? etc.), I figure that I'm close enough. If it was imperative to get exactly the proper ratio, the bottle would probably suggest that you use a syringe to measure out the Starsan, then be extremely precise with your water measurement, make sure to keep both at the proper temperature, etc. ... plus if you're really concerned, then I hope you're evaluating the chemical composition of your water, since that affects Ph and a Starsan solution won't work any more if the Ph gets too high...

I haven't checked, but I'm willing to venture a guess that 0.56034921 oz of Starsan in 2.423063 gallons of water is just as effective as exactly 0.5 oz in 2.5 gallons, assuming one could even measure either of those amounts with exact precision.

Good sanitization practices are important, key even, but some things just aren't worth the time, IMO.

Ok, ranting-response-to-rant over. :cross:

DUh, I was having the same problem too. Now I fee like Gary the Retard. I just kept measuring it out with another measuring cup. Why are there no instructions on the bottle? I'm not a brain scientist.

I guess I just don't worry about it too much. Given that liquid can expand and contract at different temperatures, and that markings on a plastic bottle themselves can only give you a rough estimate (how much time do you spend eyeballing the level? The line is at least a mm think - do you spend 15 minutes pouring minute amounts in and out trying to reach the exact middle of the line? If so, have you calibrated that line to ensure that it gives you exactly 1 oz? How much time do you spend trying to wash all the starsan out of the measuring container? etc.), I figure that I'm close enough. If it was imperative to get exactly the proper ratio, the bottle would probably suggest that you use a syringe to measure out the Starsan, then be extremely precise with your water measurement, make sure to keep both at the proper temperature, etc. ... plus if you're really concerned, then I hope you're evaluating the chemical composition of your water, since that affects Ph and a Starsan solution won't work any more if the Ph gets too high...

I haven't checked, but I'm willing to venture a guess that 0.56034921 oz of Starsan in 2.423063 gallons of water is just as effective as exactly 0.5 oz in 2.5 gallons, assuming one could even measure either of those amounts with exact precision.

Good sanitization practices are important, key even, but some things just aren't worth the time, IMO.

Ok, ranting-response-to-rant over. :cross:

I think he was referring to the fact that why mess around with the cap when the measuring chamber is right there? Just get it close enough in there, done. Seems silly not to use it.

I am bumping this shamelessly to say thank you. I looked like an idiot trying to figure that thing out last night. Until I finally said eff it and just poured in some. Which was probably more than I needed. But I'd rather have too much than not enough. Besides, my first bottle I ordered leaked and Amazon sent me a new one for free. The initial bottle only leaked about an ounce or two. Free SS for me!

Feel like an idiot here, but how do you use the little measuring chamber on the StarSan bottle? On the right in the photo.

starsan2.jpg

I'm tilting it, unscrewing caps and I can't figure it out.

TIA
Thank goodness I was not the only one. Amazingly easy once you know how. Thanks for asking the question.

The only thing I DON'T like about the StarSan bottle is that once you get about half empty, from there on out you gotta squeeze the HOLY-HELL out of it to fill the chamber.

The only thing I DON'T like about the StarSan bottle is that once you get about half empty, from there on out you gotta squeeze the HOLY-HELL out of it to fill the chamber.

I never had that problem. I keep the lid on the container side of the bottle tight and then loosen the lid on the chamber side so air can get out - give a little squeeze and the StarSan goes shooting up the little tube to fill the chamber even when the bottle is nearly empty.

I can't see this method being very accurate.

For a 5 gallon batch, I measure using a (clear) 35mm film cannister. Exactly 1 oz.

For smaller amounts I have pretty precise 10ml and 50ml (glass) graduates.

Latest posts

Back