Weissbier Summer's Last Gasp Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scutiger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP 380
Yeast Starter
yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1 L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
typical hefeweizen with a little more body
6# wheat DME
8 oz cara-wheat malt
8 oz cara-pils malt
8 oz pale wheat malt
0.75 oz hallertau hop pellets (4% AA) @ 60 min
0.25 oz hallertau hop pellets (4% AA) @ 15 min
0.25 oz sweet orange peel @ 10 min (optional)

Steep grains in 2.5 gallons water at 150F for 30 min. Bring temp up and remove grains around 170F and allow to drain until wort begins to boil. Add 3# of the DME at beginning of boil. Follow hop schedule and add the orange peel if you like (I just did it in one batch because I had it on hand and thought what the hell). Add the last 3# of DME at 10 min. Chill wort, top off to 5 gallons, pitch starter. Primary for about 10 days, straight to bottle with 5.3 oz of corn sugar, another 10-14 days to carb, then enjoy.

Simple straight forward hefeweizen. Called Summer's Last Gasp because I make it around this time every year as a farewell to the style. It's also slightly darker with more body to it than most wheat beers so it's a good transition into the fall season. It's gotten excellent reviews from friends and family as a great tailgate beer. Cheers.

What yeast are you using for this?

Edit: I was veiwing on the mobile app, so didn't see it. Web view shows the yeast. Thanks

Latest posts

Back