Oak Aging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I haven't Oak-Aged a beer yet and was concerned about Sanitary methods affecting the outcome of the beer.

What I am planning on doing is sticking the Oak chips into the oven at about 300 degrees F for about 30 minutes. However, I will be soaking the Oak chips in Bourbon for a couple of weeks before I do this.

Since the chips will be soaked in Bourbon, I'm worried about losing much of the Bourbon characteristics. Would there be a loss in flavor?

And I guess the next question would be, can I add the chips into secondary without the oven option? Would the Bourbon chips be already be sanitized due to the fact that they have been in contact with Alcohol for that long?

It is my understanding that soaking them in the bourbon for about a week does the job and putting them in the oven is not necessary.

Just soak the oak. If you want bourbon characteristics add bourbon to taste. Just 6 oz. Or so bourbon won't really impart much.

Hey Guys,

I haven't Oak-Aged a beer yet and was concerned about Sanitary methods affecting the outcome of the beer.

What I am planning on doing is sticking the Oak chips into the oven at about 300 degrees F for about 30 minutes. However, I will be soaking the Oak chips in Bourbon for a couple of weeks before I do this.

Since the chips will be soaked in Bourbon, I'm worried about losing much of the Bourbon characteristics. Would there be a loss in flavor?

And I guess the next question would be, can I add the chips into secondary without the oven option? Would the Bourbon chips be already be sanitized due to the fact that they have been in contact with Alcohol for that long?

I'd give them a quick boil to cut down the tannins a bit, then soak them in bourbon for a few weeks, then pitch them directly into the beer without heating again.

Back