Barleywine---1.107 to 1.004??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
I mashed
11.5 lbs. pale ale malt
.8 lbs C-20
.4 lbs C-40
.25 ;bs. Caravienna

85 IBUs worth of hops

2 hours at 149*.

I boiled 6.5 gallons down to 4 (purposely)

1 packet of re-hydrated Notty with a couple of scoops of "conditioned" Notty thrown in for good measure.

After one week, presuming my hydrometer is correct, it went from 1.107 to 1.004. I was hoping for 1.014. I'm hoping this will age out quite nicely. Thoughts?? After aging, I plan to oak for a bit.

I'd rather have a dry barleywine then underattenuated syrup.

****EDIT*** My hydro is off, I'm glad since I didn't want that dry of a BW!!

Sounds like a dry barleywine, as you wished for. Did you taste it when you took a gravity reading?

I use 2 oz of toasted american oak cubes for my oaked beers. It seems to do the trick. I soak them for 10 days. You may want to do more and age it.

Sounds like a dry barleywine, as you wished for. Did you taste it when you took a gravity reading?

I use 2 oz of toasted american oak cubes for my oaked beers. It seems to do the trick. I soak them for 10 days. You may want to do more and age it.

It is only a week from the boil, so it is hotter than a $2 pistol.

I'm just hoping it won't be too dry. Aging will tell.

me thinks something is not right here. Your recipe is about 13lbs, and even with 100 eff, you couldn't get your og with a 5-5.5g sv. i brew 1.039 sg blonde ale that only end 1.006-1.005 mashed at 148 with 93% two row and a little 10 degree. maybe look into hydrometer issues, but I can't believe that big a beer would ever finish that low even with large amounts of simple sugar.

me thinks something is not right here. Your recipe is about 13lbs, and even with 100 eff, you couldn't get your og with a 5-5.5g sv. i brew 1.039 sg blonde ale that only end 1.006-1.005 mashed at 148 with 93% two row and a little 10 degree. maybe look into hydrometer issues, but I can't believe that big a beer would ever finish that low even with large amounts of simple sugar.

He boiled 6.5 gallons down to 4 gallons. With beer smith at an 83% efficiency he would be at 1.108 .

That is insane, try checking the hydro.

The hydro is kaput. After reading an above post, I experimented with it, and noticed a bit of water in the bottom. I had dropped the beaker with the hydro in it a couple of days previous. It appeared to be un-damaged. I still hadn't noticed the damage when I tested my bw. I didn't think it possible to get to 1.004, but ya never know. Anyhow, I tested it in water and couldn't get it to rise (no jokes here, please); closer inspection revealed the water. The drop must have chipped the weighted end, which let in the water.

You couldn't get it to rise? Have you tried viag... oh sorry you said no jokes...

Back