Protip: Always carry carboys with TWO hands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
Friend was carrying a full Better Bottle out to the garage last night. Carrying it with one hand around the neck while he opened the door. It was a little bit wet and slipped through his hands, which caused the stopper to come off. Dumped about a gallon of pale ale on the floor and shook up what was still in the carboy quite a bit. I sanitized the stopper and airlock and threw it back on there. Hopefully the oxygen doesn't affect it too much.

Remember: Always carry carboys with TWO hands. If it had been a glass carboy, he would have gotten cut up pretty bad.

I use a carboy carrier which is very handy and cheap. It is simply a set of nylon straps, stitched together that provides a 'basket' in which you place the carboy

This is one of those cases where a glass carboy would have been much better. If he were using a glass carboy, he would have been much more careful (i.e. using two hands) due to the risk of breakage. Thus the tragedy of lost beer would have been averted.

Glass rules.

This is one of those cases where a glass carboy would have been much better. If he were using a glass carboy, he would have been much more careful (i.e. using two hands) due to the risk of breakage. Thus the tragedy of lost beer would have been averted.

Glass rules.

This is why I always put my carboys in a cart and have my unicorn pull it to my fermentation chamber.

Advantage of old age is wisdom and lack of strength to carry a full carboy with one hand. Buy a $10 dolly from Harbor Freight.

Brewhaulers are not a magic solution. You have to make sure that the webbing is properly placed, particularly at the bottom. My son picked up a carboy full of wort, and, as he did so, I noticed that the webbing wasn't properly placed. Before I could say anything, the carboy fell and smashed.

Been there, except it wasn't a wet carboy, it was my sock slipping on the edge of the stairs with a stout in hand. I tried to to keep it from hitting the stairs, but couldn't, and the cap shot off and stout flew. It bounced into my lap, as I slid down the stairs (thump, thump, thump, thump) and more stout flew on each thump. What a mess, and surprising that the carboy didn't shatter. The next day I picked up a carboy handle.

Glass rules.

Ha, thanks for the laugh. I needed one tonight! :)

Alright, back to waxing the kitchen floor so my girlfriend will be more mindful when she's cooking...

Back