Chinese beer and the future

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rico567

Reaction score
I'm initiating this thread after a few weeks touring China, starting in Shanghai and finishing here, at the Raffles Beijing Hotel, just a few blocks down Chang'an St. from Tienanmen Square. The bird flies this afternoon, and earlier this afternoon, 13.5 hours later, we'll be in Chicago (think International Date Line).

The beer scene in China was surprising, in one way. American-style fizzy pale lagers are available and consumed widely; the Chinese consider beer an everyday beverage, to be consumed alongside water, Coke, and wine. We drank maybe a half-dozen brands when we were here, my personal favorite being the common Beijing brew, Yanjing. The Chinese premier brand, Tsingtao, is better than the Budweiser that is sold here....but that's not much of an index for comparison.

I've seen Guinness in bottles on a few menus, but the most unusual thing I've had here so far is a bottle of Erdinger Black, which I assume is an import. Given the enormous range of Chinese food and the one-dimensional beer supply, this country of 1.3 billion is crying out for someone to pioneer a craft / micro brewing industry. A dish as elegant as Peking duck or as robust as small cabbages and mushrooms -let alone the fiery joys of a Qongjing hot pot- cries out for a wider choice of beers. I think it's a sleeping volcano, waiting to erupt.

Chinese wine is.....somewhat hopeful. The cabernet we were served the other night was reminiscent of grapes, but with a pronounced overtone of automobile lacquer. The bottle of "rice wine" I bought in Hubei province was actually distilled from glutinous sorghum, ran bout 39%, or about the same as most booze sold in the States, and tasted like a combination of paint thinner and turpentine.

They probably drink beer for the same reasons they did in Europe a few hundred years ago.... The water quality.

The cabernet we were served the other night was reminiscent of grapes, but with a pronounced overtone of automobile lacquer. The bottle of "rice wine" I bought in Hubei province was actually distilled from glutinous sorghum, ran bout 39%, or about the same as most booze sold in the States, and tasted like a combination of paint thinner and turpentine.

automobile laquer, paint thinner and turpentine. This is exactly what I am afraid of. I don't mind Non-premium, as in Chilean wine. They're just not spectacular. But coming from a country with a reputation for substituting improper ingredients - your descriptive comments lend no faith in their products.
Maybe their products just suck, but even worse - maybe your taste evaluations are spot on.
China is a huger exporter of beer though. Go look on alibaba - they have warehouses full of beer waiting for your label to be slapped onto the product. If I am aware of it's origin - I will pass on the Chinese stuff. Great culture - bad business.

-OCD

automobile laquer, paint thinner and turpentine. This is exactly what I am afraid of. I don't mind Non-premium, as in Chilean wine. They're just not spectacular. But coming from a country with a reputation for substituting improper ingredients - your descriptive comments lend no faith in their products.
Maybe their products just suck, but even worse - maybe your taste evaluations are spot on.
China is a huger exporter of beer though. Go look on alibaba - they have warehouses full of beer waiting for your label to be slapped onto the product. If I am aware of it's origin - I will pass on the Chinese stuff. Great culture - bad business.

-OCD

I agree 100% with the OP regarding the Chinese market for micro/craft brews.

...but to just give China little credit- American companies that have their products manufactured in China are just as much to blame (of not more) for so many of the highly publicized manufacturing problems with toxic paint or tainted foods. We demand such low prices and not enough oversight of the manufacturing (saving money! woohoo!). Then we all act surprised that there are chunks of plastic in the dog food, lead in the paints, and toxins everywhere. Have you seen the low prices at Walmart though?

The bottle of "rice wine" I bought in Hubei province was actually distilled from glutinous sorghum, ran bout 39%, or about the same as most booze sold in the States, and tasted like a combination of paint thinner and turpentine.

I've had several different versions of that stuff while traveling there. They all have two things in common, horrible taste and the ability to knock you on your arse in a hurry.

My brother-in-law visited China this summer. He sent me a photo of the Belgain Beers available in a grocery store they stopped in. It was actually a pretty decent selection (~20), certainly better than any place around here, probably similar to a good (but not great) beer store in a big city,

last time I was in Hong Kong (2006) the most expensive beer in the grocery store was Natural Ice! :drunk: damn American export taxes!

They probably drink beer for the same reasons they did in Europe a few hundred years ago.... The water quality.

This could be a very big reason. We were told in no uncertain terms that the tap water wasn't safe to drink- anywhere. The only place that I saw that had certified safe drinking water was the Beijing airport, and had a huge sign on the water machine to that effect. We were provided with abundant bottled water by our tour company, and Chinese we talked to either boil the water or have some kind of water purification system at home.

My soccer team had the great opportunity to play some games in China three years ago. When we were there this is one of the reasons we had beer. Sure, we could of had bottled water, but the beer was actually cheaper.

It is not a hard decision to make. Reasonable beer for less, or bottled water for more... The only time water was bought was for the actual games. (turns out carbonation while playing doesn't work too well)

All I can say is GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. good beer good water and I wont be shot for my beliefs.

(From original poster): All I can say is we were in China for 17 days and luckily we weren't shot, for our beliefs or otherwise. The best thing about China was the people- friendly, helpful, curious....and a WHOLE LOT of them.

O I would love to go there and tour, the people I have met from there are very friendly. Not nocking the people at all.

Back