I have been thinking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnaggerMan

Reaction score
So, if anyone has ever gotten drunk by homebrewed beverages, have you noticed that it takes longer to get drunk than by drinking commercial beverages? I get drunk slower by drinking 17% homemade wine and 17% commercial wine hits me very fast.

Why does homemade beverages make us drunk slower?

Complex carbohydrates for beer, but I haven't noticed any difference with home-made mead or wine, other than a tendency to drink slower.

If I'm drinking Homebrew I am drinking it purely for pleasure and enjoyment, savouring every slurp. If I end up getting drunk on anything else I am probably working on an agenda.

See? If you were actually drunk. there would be none of this new fangled, hippy, thinking, business.

"When I read of the evils of drinking beer, I gave up reading"

I wasn´t drunk when I was thinking.

So, almost everyone gets drunk once in a while. I just want to know why homemade beverages make you get drunk slower, even if you drink the same quantity and with same speed as with commercial beverages?

I don't think I get drunk slower, but I do drink slower because my beer has more body and flavor.

IMO, there's too much junk in commercial brews so it's not really the alcohol you're feeling but adjuncts.

I do notice that when overindulging in HB that the high is cleaner and the path to sobriety is faster. :D

I actually feel my home brews seem stronger for a given ABV compared to a commercial brew.

Is it possible there is any correlation between drinking homebrew/full stomach vs. drinking commercial brew/empty stomach? The amount of food in my belly makes all the difference in the world in how fast and how much alcohol hits me.

I would actually say it is more environmental that it is anything else. It is documented that where you drink can affect how drunk you get. If you drink somewhere a lot, you feel less effects... weird I know. That's probably why I can down 64oz of Rogue Hazelnut Brown at my favourite local bar and feel only a slight buzz ;)

Back