2-outlet 240V setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
Going to be utilizing the outlet for my dryer. But I don't want to keep unplugging it to run my 5500W ripple element. Is there an easy solution to convert this to 2 outlets?

As mentioned, do not run them at the same time, you could very likely blow your breaker. And speaking of breakers, also note that you will need to replace the existing circuit breaker with a GFCI one (since you'll be working with liquids) in your breaker panel. Make sure it's 240V 30A GFCI.

As mentioned, do not run them at the same time, you could very likely blow your breaker. And speaking of breakers, also note that you will need to replace the existing circuit breaker with a GFCI one (since you'll be working with liquids) in your breaker panel. Make sure it's 240V 30A GFCI.

I imagine there's already one in it but I will verify. maybe even up it to 50 amp

I imagine there's already one in it but I will verify. maybe even up it to 50 amp

It's unlikely that your existing breaker is a GFCI. Also do not swap out a breaker for a higher amp one unless you have verified that the wiring can support it. It is extremely unlikely that your dryer circuit has large enough wire to support 50 amps.

That's an excellent point to note: Breakers are intended to protect the wires, not the appliances. You cannot take wiring that was installed with the expectation of only ever having to handle 30 amps, and swap the breaker out for one that will allow up to 50 amps to flow through it.

+1 on GFCI. Your current configuration almost surely doesn't have one. Standard in homebrewing is to use a Spa Box (as in, meant for a spa) since you'll be working with liquids.

As for the plug, they can vary widely. Take a look at your plug, then at a chart like this to identify the configuration. Google that + splitter and that should give you what you need.

Go to a hardware store and get a double gang deep box, (2) 30 amp commercial light switches, and wire up an input and 2 outputs. This is what i did but for 50a input. You can do the same thing with 30a input but dont turn on both elements at the same time.

Latest posts

Back