Dangerous Dogs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it breed or owners that make dogs dangerous?

• All pitbulls and Rottwielers are dangerous

• Its the owners that make them dangerous

• Ralph Nader fights Gerbals to the death!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I guess I'll add since this was brought up again... My pits, which I did not own "for a certain reason", only want to lay on your lap and lick you. Its how they are raised. My boston terrier is more vicious than my pits - you can pull their ears, tail, feet, etc. and they don't care.

Look at humans, we are animals also, and we cage some of our more violent ones. It is a combo of owners vs. inherent nature. We have a pitbull mix, who is the best dog I have ever owned, and I have shelled out thousands of dollars for pure bred animals.

Yes there is always a danger of a dog biting a person. Some dogs are more inclined to do so, yes. It all comes down to training and respect. If the dog does not have respect it will be more inclined to bite. I have had a rottweiler mix that was the most guarded dog I have ever seen, he wouldn't sit at your feet and follow you where ever you went. He was always trying to fight the other dogs and the pitbull always kicked his ass. When our daughter came along we had to get rid of him he was very territorial. He is now happy and the owners are thrilled with him. He is a one dog per family type of dog.

Now we have an English bulldog and a pitbull/lab mix. My daughter crawls all over them, when they get irritated they get up and leave. No worries here. If you don't have the time to properly train you dog you don't need one. Same thing with kids, you don't train them right they are more apt to be a problem.

I think my neighbors should not be able to have animals that are known to kill humans. That includes mountain lions, bengal tigers, grizzly bears and pit bulls. I'm a bit sensitive since last week I was going into my brew shack and the neighbors pit bull came shooting out. It backed me up against the shack snarling and barking at me. Not sure what would have happened if the neighbor hadn't heard the dog and called him off. Now I'm spending $10,000 on a gate and fence to keep their dog safe. If comes at me again, I WILL shoot it. Sadly, I'm packing now to walk on my own property.

I think it is a mix of both - certain breeds do have the inherent tendency of violence.

My wife, an emergency vet, tends to cases all the time where a pitbull suddenly turns on another dog in the household (that it has peacefully lived with for years). It does not take much in a change of environment for a dog of this breeding to suffer a change in personality and revert to its breeding instincts - no matter what the training or how good the owner. So as an owner (and especially a parent of a young child) you must recognize when that change in the dog has occurred and take steps to rectify it with more training.

Now, that said, owners can easily make any dog violent with its upbringing and treatment. Certain breeds need more work than others and can grow up to be perfect companions, but there is always that chance if you are not vigilant.

Not exactly on topic, but there is new legislation up for vote this week here in Indiana that will make dog-fighting attendance a Class D Felony instead of a misdemeanor and making dogfight hosting a Racketeering charge, as well as a law making pet shops display specific information about where they obtained the animals to crack down on puppy mills.

I think my neighbors should not be able to have animals that are known to kill humans. That includes mountain lions, bengal tigers, grizzly bears and pit bulls. I'm a bit sensitive since last week I was going into my brew shack and the neighbors pit bull came shooting out. It backed me up against the shack snarling and barking at me. Not sure what would have happened if the neighbor hadn't heard the dog and called him off. Now I'm spending $10,000 on a gate and fence to keep their dog safe. If comes at me again, I WILL shoot it. Sadly, I'm packing now to walk on my own property.

That sucks, but that is the owner. A border collie or a springer spaniel can be dangerous if they are not properly raised. Pit bulls are sweethearts, but they do need a good owner. They attack other dogs more naturally than people and that means that they need to be around other dogs from when they are pups. Humans are another story. As long as it's around people and isn't beaten or abused, a pit bull is not naturally aggressive to people.

But, seriously, you think that pit bulls should be outlawed then you are misinformed of the natural disposition of the animal. The owners should be outlawed. The next time it happens, I would file a complaint with the police and animal control...get that dog taken away from the owner if it continues, maybe even put down. Or shoot the dog, whatever. The owner obviously doesn't deserve to raise animals.

That sucks, but that is the owner. A border collie or a springer spaniel can be dangerous if they are not properly raised.

Sorry, but after an extensive google search it appears this statement is not true. There are no recorded deaths by vicious attack of a border collie or springer spaniel that I can find. However, pit bulls are another story. It is to some extent the owners fault. Much as exotic animal owners must protect all others from their sweet Mountain Lions. I have been in a cage with one and it was quite friendly and purred when I petted it. However, it should NEVER be out of the cage roaming the neighborhood, and the same is true with Pit Bulls IMHO. The incident reports almost always talk of how sweet the animal was for it's entire life up to the point where it mauled and or killed the 2 year old. Keep your sweety on a tight leash is all I'm saying.

We used to live next to a family that had a big dog (???); there was a fence between our properties. The dog was always friendly, meaning it never bothered us but we were not on petting terms either.
I was actually living with my mom who got lonely when we were away or at work so we brought her a medium sized dog (???). Those two dogs had fun running back and forth all day along the fence. Eventually after a few months my mom decided she did not want the responsibility of the dog. I guess we should have asked her about a dog first. Anyway, we found a new home for the dog and took her away. After that forget it. That dog stood there at the fence looking at us I guess wanting to know what we did with her friend. Eventually that turned into vicious anger like I never saw in a dog. We didn't want to go outside anymore. Crazy how that dog changed over that.

Sorry, but after an extensive google search it appears this statement is not true. There are no recorded deaths by vicious attack of a border collie or springer spaniel that I can find. However, pit bulls are another story. It is to some extent the owners fault. Much as exotic animal owners must protect all others from their sweet Mountain Lions. I have been in a cage with one and it was quite friendly and purred when I petted it. However, it should NEVER be out of the cage roaming the neighborhood, and the same is true with Pit Bulls IMHO. The incident reports almost always talk of how sweet the animal was for it's entire life up to the point where it mauled and or killed the 2 year old. Keep your sweety on a tight leash is all I'm saying.

There are plenty of reports of Labs killing people though.

Pits are big strong dogs. They're also dogs that are more likely to be owned by people who want them just to look tough. The owners are the problem, not the dog.

:off:

While on the subject, I have always wondered if people lose battles with dogs because while the dog is aggressively attacking, the human is usually trying to stop the dog (but not hurt it), trying to flee or often hoping the dog will stop before further damage is done. I wonder if more dogs, not all dogs, would get their asses kicked or be killed if the person being attacked wanted to KILL the dog from the start. Violently hard kicks with boots, something jammed into the dog’s eye, the brain, a violent shot to the head with a hard heavy object? Things I bet many of us might find hard to do even under such an attack.

:off:

While on the subject, I have always wondered if people lose battles with dogs because while the dog is aggressively attacking, the human is usually trying to stop the dog (but not hurt it), trying to flee or often hoping the dog will stop before further damage is done. I wonder if more dogs, not all dogs, would get their asses kicked or be killed if the person being attacked wanted to KILL the dog from the start. Violently hard kicks with boots, something jammed into the dog’s eye, the brain, a violent shot to the head with a hard heavy object? Things I bet many of us might find hard to do even under such an attack.

I think you have a valid question. Killer instinct versus social awareness. Next time i see a dog, I'm gonna test this. :)

PS I'd better go outside and walk the block before I go into the living room. That Peek-a-poo and the shi-tzu won't know what hit them! :D

EVERY DOG should be kept on a leash, so I don't see point. EVERY DOG should be kept on its property. I am OK with a well-trained dog off-leash, but those are 1 in 10,000. The law is to keep them on a leash. Do it. If you disagree with that, well...then we completely disagree.

There's no reason to restrict certain types of dogs and let other roam free. The little yappy chihuhua better be on a leash. If it comes into my yard, it's getting punted across the street.

There are plenty of reports of Labs killing people though.

Pits are big strong dogs. They're also dogs that are more likely to be owned by people who want them just to look tough. The owners are the problem, not the dog.

/\ This /\

LABS...the most loveable dogs, have killed people. And I've seen Springers attack people, so while they didn't kill them, they are dangerous. Pit bulls just have strong jaws, so yes, if they do get ahold of you they are more dangerous.

Feed it one arm and either rip out it's throat or stick your thumb as far down it's eye socket as you can. Best chance you got.

I think you have a valid question. Killer instinct versus social awareness. Next time i see a dog, I'm gonna test this. :)

PS I'd better go outside and walk the block before I go into the living room. That Peek-a-poo and the shi-tzu won't know what hit them! :D

Two little dogs? I don't know about that, one could be nibbling on your big toe while the other trips you up and once on the ground it is all over for you. :D

are pitbulls and rottwielers inherently dangerous or is it the owners who make the dogs dangerous?
No matter the calibur of the golden lab owner, those dogs never seem to attack anyone who did not provoke them. Lick them, yes, bite them i think that is rare.

I have a Rottie/Shepherd mix, and he's the biggest marshmallow dog I've ever had. Yes, he can seem intimidating to someone who doesn't like (or is afraid of) big dogs, but if you put your fears aside and pet him, he'll lean on you and won't want you to stop.

As for the labs, I was bitten by a lab earlier last year. I think I startled him by walking into the back yard, because once the owner came out, he was pretty friendly. The owner was very apologetic, and wanted to take me to the hospital. I refused because the dog barely broke the skin. I did make sure he was vaccinated for rabies though.

It's all on how they're treated and/or trained. The Vick dogs were trained to fight, but most are now either adopted, or are ready for adoption.

People who believe wholeheartedly that Pitbulls as a breed should be treated as a feared, wild, savage animal, are purely and simply misinformed. They have been fed this fear mongering so long from the media that they believe it. I don't blame these people I blame the media.

Do some research before you try to use a broad brush to paint all these dogs into the same picture. A DOG can hurt humans. Plain and simple. They have teeth, and jaws shaped for clamping down. Any dog can hurt you, it is down to the physical damage dealt that classifies it as horrific. ie, ****zu bite versus, Cane Corso.

Pitbulls were bred and raised to be animal aggressive. Dogs specifically. The lines were CULLED of dogs that displayed human aggression. These dogs had to be able to be split up from fighting by humans, with the human not being bitten.

These dogs were breed raised to be animal aggressive, but they do not come out of the womb with teeth bared at the world. These dogs are and have been demonized in the media and they continue to be, led by the ignorant masses that insist on these dogs as a status symbol of being badda$$.

These dogs were hailed in the later part of the last century for their tolerance and temperament with of all things, Children, *GASP*. Does this mean that the poster from earlier should allow his kids to play in the yard while his neighbors pitbull roams freely? ABSOLUTELY not. And if I was him I would not hesitate to put that dog down should it try to corner me on my property. But who's fault is it? The dogs for being born and brought into a family that offers no structure and discipline or is it the fault of the owner for not providing that structure and discipline.

There are plenty of pitbulls in shelters that will never be adopted or given a second chance purely because of the stigma associated with this breed. There are plenty in the shelters that should never be adopted out, sadly it's not the dogs fault. It's the owner who should be held responsible.

By the way this is not an attack on those in the thread that see Pitbulls as a threat. I only hope that people will perhaps re-think the view they have by doing some reading. Maybe going to a shelter. Who knows, you could always find a pal that needs a home.

Sorry for being long winded, this is a hot button issue for me if you couldn't tell.

i own a pittbull he's a sweetheart. the only dog that ever agressively bit me was my fathers yellow lab golgen retriever. and shes a rescue

pitt bulls are in general are no more agerssive than a labradoodle or any other dog they just got a bad rep if poodles had a fierce rep people would train them to fight

EVERY DOG should be kept on a leash, so I don't see point. EVERY DOG should be kept on its property. I am OK with a well-trained dog off-leash, but those are 1 in 10,000. The law is to keep them on a leash. Do it. If you disagree with that, well...then we completely disagree.

There's no reason to restrict certain types of dogs and let other roam free. The little yappy chihuhua better be on a leash. If it comes into my yard, it's getting punted across the street.

/\ This /\

LABS...the most loveable dogs, have killed people. And I've seen Springers attack people, so while they didn't kill them, they are dangerous. Pit bulls just have strong jaws, so yes, if they do get ahold of you they are more dangerous.

Feed it one arm and either rip out it's throat or stick your thumb as far down it's eye socket as you can. Best chance you got.

or tell him to sit and give him a treat

I have owned two rottweilers. They are the most goofy, loveable dogs in the world.

You need to keep them on a leash.

You need to train them properly and be in charge. Why?

Because they are massively strong, misunderstood dogs.

If you can't properly socialize them and train them then you have NO BUSINESS owning one.

If you see statistics showing them to be biters and aggresive then I guarantee that the people handling them have no idea or business owning one.

i would say it is the owners that bring out the aggressiveness. We have a black lab now at 8mos but when he was 5-6mos old he was playing with a 1-1.5yr old pitbull. Our lab and that pit played with no aggression at all ever showing up. And my lab would pin the pit down, so the pit had every right to try to defend itself.

Pitbulls are bred to have aggressive tendancies. In that respect, then yes - they are (statistically) more prone to breeding taking over. HOWEVER, to say that ALL pitbulls are therefore inherently dangerous is wrong. A good friend of mine has a pitbull, and it's the sweetest dog imaginable. And a complete pansy, I've seen it run from a cat. (Speaking of aggressive, them felines can be nasty little shaggers).

jbanta's spot on. It's usually the owners that bring out the aggressiveness.

A lot of pitbulls are rescue animals - was talking with someone who works at an animal shelter about it in the wake of the Michael Vick shennanigans. The MO tends to go that a wannabe tough guy gets a pup, raises it "accordingly" - starving it, beating it, doing all he can to get that aggression - animal services gets wind of it, comes in, and seizes the dog. Dog's put into the shelter, stays there for a month, and if it passes muster, then it's adopted out. But that previous abuse is often always there, and can take years and an absolute TON of effort to cure the dog of.

I think that's what Deathbrewer was referring to - any animal, be they chihuahua or pit bull - has the potential to turn vicious if they've gone through what a lot of "fighting dogs" have gone through.

The upshot... if you get a dog (any dog) from a shelter, then it's a crapshoot as to what issues it may have. Pitbulls are more likely to have them, based on their tendancy to be owned by people who abuse them. If you get a pitbull from a breeder, as a puppy, and raise it as a normal dog, then they're absolutely fine.

Pitbulls are bred to have aggressive tendancies. In that respect, then yes - they are (statistically) more prone to breeding taking over.

Again, thats incorrect. PitBulls are bred to NOT be human-aggressive. Entire lines are culled because of human-aggressive issues. The were, however, bred to be dog aggressive. These are totally different things.

Most dog bites (pit bulls included) happen when two off leash dogs are fighting, and someone tries to break it up.

Again, thats incorrect. PitBulls are bred to NOT be human-aggressive. Entire lines are culled because of human-aggressive issues. The were, however, bred to be dog aggressive. These are totally different things.

Most dog bites (pit bulls included) happen when two off leash dogs are fighting, and someone tries to break it up.

Exactly.

Those beliefs only further the cause of demonizing a breed.

Back