Need help on boiling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick562

Reaction score
I only have a 5 gallon boil kettle and i will need about 6 gallons of wort to hit my final volume of 5 gallons after the boil. My question is since im limited by a 5 gallon boil can i just throw the extra wort in after the boil or should i throw it in after a 1 hour boil and then boil for another hour?

Well, if it's all grain, he's going to have to boil it all. I definitely wouldn't just throw in the extra at the end of the boil. It's incredibly important that you kill any microbes in the wort. Boiling is also important for proper hops utilization.

I can think of two options (not counting buying a bigger kettle):

1. Scale down your recipe to fit your brew kettle. This is simple and can be done with brewing software.

2. Perhaps if you have a second smaller pot, you can put the remaining wort in it and boil it separately. And divide the hops proportionally amongst the two pots.

Whatever you do, boil it all!

I think it's pretty common for people to split boils, too. Especially for people without an outdoor propane burner that struggle bringing 5 gallons to a boil on a stove top.

Back