Citra Pale Ale - Boil Pot (not Aluminum)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Time-Travelers

Reaction score
I have a Citra Pale Ale kit. The instructions list the 'Equipment Required' and it specifically says (not Aluminum) for the Boil Pot. This will be my 6th kit and I've never seen the instructions say 'not aluminum'. Does this have anything to do with the Citra hops?

Thanks!

Just ignore it, an aluminum pot works fine. I use an aluminum pot for both my HLT and boil kettle.

They want you to buy a shiney expensive SS pot. Just like the say ferment for a week... so you'll buy more product faster.

Yes. Citra hops eat through aluminum instantaneously. Buy a 200 pot and all your worries will be a thing of the past.

Seriously. You have nothing to worry about. And you can use oxyclean/onestep on aluminum.

Thanks Everyone - will be brewing this week!

Nothing unusual in the kit; grains, all citra hops, LME/DME, yeast. This is my first time using Citra so that's why I thought it might have had something to do with it...

Kit is from Cap n Cork in SE Michigan.

Last kit, after this I'm moving to all grain - BIAB : )

And you can use oxyclean/onestep on aluminum.

...to clarify

Aluminum reacts readily with oxygen to form a thin layer of alumina (Al2O3), which is hard and sticks tenaciously to the surface of the metal. This process is called passivation. Once a passivated layer is formed, it doesn't get any thicker because it protects the base unoxidized metal from reacting further...although you *can* make a tremendous fire out of powdered aluminum. They use such material along with iron oxide to make thermite, which burns hot enough to generate molten iron...it is used to weld train rails together.

Certain materials will react with the alumina and aluminum, namely strong alkalis. As someone who once heard of a dude whose cousin's friend made drano bombs as a teenager, I can attest to the fact that sodium hydroxide (lye) will rapidly dissolve alumina and aluminum (generating heat and hydrogen gas on the way).

One-step or Oxyclean are made primarily of sodium peroxycarbonate. When it decomposes, it releases oxygen just like hydrogen peroxide does...this is what gives you the sanitizing activity. After the peroxide is gone, you are left with sodium carbonate, which is also known as washing soda. It is a moderately strong base...stronger than sodium bicarbonate, but much weaker than sodium hydroxide. If you notice your hands feel a little slippery after washing up with One-step/oxyclean, it's because the sodium carbonate reacts with the oils (which are weak acids) on your skin and turns them to soap. This is a classic test for whether you just got lye on yourself...if your skin is slippery, keep rinsing until it's gone or you will be treated to a chemical burn.

I have not done any tests, but the percarbonate sanitizers will probably not wreck your aluminum equipment if you take it easy. Don't let the oxyclean sit in your keggle for hours, don't boil it, and rinse it off when you're done. Searching the tubes for peroxycarbonate and aluminum brings up a variety of information that does not condemn using them together, but does give some warnings.

If it's an option stainless steel is a lot less trouble because you can use just about anything you want on it. Barkeeper's Friend is oxalic acid, which may eat up your aluminum. Bleach is not great for stainless (it's a long-term cracking problem) but will corrode aluminum (bleach = sodium hydroxide + chlorine gas). Abrasive cleaners (soft scrub, etc.) will scuff the aluminum but probably not the stainless.

"I have not done any tests, but the percarbonate sanitizers will probably not wreck your aluminum equipment if you take it easy. Don't let the oxyclean sit in your keggle for hours, don't boil it, and rinse it off when you're done. Searching the tubes for peroxycarbonate and aluminum brings up a variety of information that does not condemn using them together, but does give some warnings."

This is my experience also. I wash out my kettle with oxy/one step but I don't soak it in there. The momentary contact isn't going to strip off the oxide layer that everyone seems to be so worried about. Any that does get scraped off is probably going to be replaced almost immediately by oxygen in the air and the water you use to rinse.

I used aluminum for the first year with out any problems, and made some damn good beers with it. But I got rid of it when I got 3 kegs for 40 dollars, and a small chest freezer for free. Got to love CL!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back