Mesquite and Tequila

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
I would like to create a brew that is somewhat of a tribute to the soutwest. I'd like to capture this with flavors of mesquite and tequila, using a nice, neutral pale ale as a base.

My thought is to soak mesquite chips in a dark tequila for a few weeks, then add them to the secondary. I presently have an Old Ale with burbon (wild turkey) soaked oak cubes; same idea.

A bit of citrus would also complement these flavors, so I was thinking of using the zest of one or two limes along with the soaked chips.

So, two questions:

Is this the correct approach for obtaining the flavors I am looking for?

What would be a good extract pale ale recipie suitable for this?

I am fairly new to homebrewing with four batches behind me, all extract for now while I get my process down.

Many thanks!

You could also consider smoking some of your steeping grains in mesquite.

I really like this idea. Would I pre-soak the grains a bit so they will pick up more of the smoke, or smoke them dry? How long in the smoke do you think? I have a big green egg which is ideal for low and slow.

I really like this idea. Would I pre-soak the grains a bit so they will pick up more of the smoke, or smoke them dry? How long in the smoke do you think? I have a big green egg which is ideal for low and slow.

I would wet smoke them, give them a bit of a soak then let er rip.

As to time, I really don't know. Try this article for ideas http://***********/stories/beer-sty...s/309-brewing-smoked-beers-tips-from-the-pros But just remember, you aren''t aiming for a smoked beer, just a hint of mesquite in it.

Back