Carbonation Issues / Kegging / Balanced System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malonja

Reaction score
Kegging Newbie here with a problem...

My Pale Ale has been sitting at 20 psi and 48 degrees for 3 weeks but is still flat. I've tried shaking at times... still flat. It comes out with a foamy head, but it tastes flat and I'm not getting any bubbles from the bottom rising to the top.

Based on everything I've read here and other places, the CO2 should be absorbed and at equilbrium by now. I'm wondering if my dispensing system is not balanced which is causing the flat beer.

I have three feet of 3/8 inch diamater dispensing tubing which I bought from the homebrew shop. I'm dispensing at 4psi.

Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Yes, your system is way unbalanced and your pouring practices are not helping.

All your CO2 is coming out of solution during the pour. Throw away your 3 feet of 3/8 tubing and get at least 6 feet of 3/16" restrictor tubing.

Next, reduce the keg pressure until it is stable at whatever carbonation level is appropriate for the beer style, the temperature and your tastes. It's probably about 12-13 psi off the top of my head. You have way too much CO2 dissolved in the beer, most of this will need to come out of solution which will takes a few days or maybe a week.

Once the beer is stable, and without reducing the keg pressure, pour a beer or two making sure that the entire restrictor line and tap are refrigerated. If not refrigerated, you will get lots of foam.

The restrictor tubing can be shortened if you end up kegging with less pressure.

this is obviously my first time kegging......

When you say to lower and stablize at a certain psi (say 12psi) and that it will take up to a week:

I lower the pressure to 12psi. Some of the carbonation already absorbed by the beer will come out over time, so I'll need to check often to remove excess and maintain at 12psi. Once it appears stable at 12 psi..then sample beer.

Thanks again.

a keg hooked up to co2 tank will be fully carbed in 3 days. Now it will still need to age to mellow out but it will be carbed.

If you have had yours stiitng for 3 weeks then it should be carbed.

#1. You have a leak and all of your co2 is leaking out instead of going into suspension. If this were the case then 3 weeks would have emptied your co2 tank unless it is very big and the leak is small.

#2. You say that you have a head on the beer when you pour it. That is a sign of carbonation. You say it tastes flat? Are you sure...maybe it is just how the style tastes to you if it is not aged enough?

It is hard to understand how beer with a head could taste flat.

#3. If the glass is clean and not cold then you usually do not get those bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

I don't think there is a leak as the beer remained stable at the 20 psi.

malonja said:
this is obviously my first time kegging......

When you say to lower and stablize at a certain psi (say 12psi) and that it will take up to a week:

I lower the pressure to 12psi. Some of the carbonation already absorbed by the beer will come out over time, so I'll need to check often to remove excess and maintain at 12psi. Once it appears stable at 12 psi..then sample beer.

'Zactly, you got it right. You can sample as time progresses to see how the beer changes. :mug:

Back