2 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin22

Reaction score
Well I know most say skip the secondary all together, I would but at this moment I have a belgian pale ale that has been in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for 1 week. Im thinking about letting it sit in the secondary one more week and then bottle. What do yall think?

Also I have an IPA should I do a 3 weeks primary and then bottle?

I will give you three answers:

1. I always move my beers to some secondary - it's my preference

2. Whatever you do, do not bottle your beer before you know that the beer has reached it's final gravity - use the hydrometer

3. You may leave it in primary or secondary for days and weeks after the final gravity is reached - experiment and see what you like! Maybe you'll decide you like to only use a primary, maybe you'll decide that an IPA is best dry-hopped in a secondary, etc. Experimenting is one of the best things about this hobby!

Interesting, I did an Ipa mini mash not to long ago its instructions said nothing about dry-hopping. Whats up with that? The procedure just called for 3oz of hops during the boil.

Also should I take a sample out of the secondary and use that to check the sg. And if so can i dump that sample back in if everything its touched has been sanitized.

Interesting, I did an Ipa mini mash not to long ago its instructions said nothing about dry-hopping. Whats up with that? The procedure just called for 3oz of hops during the boil.

Also should I take a sample out of the secondary and use that to check the sg. And if so can i dump that sample back in if everything its touched has been sanitized.

Every recipe can be different, so it's fun to look at other recipes and see what others do. I usually dryhop my APAs and IPAs, but others don't.

You can take a sample out with a sanitized wine thief, or a piece of tubing, or a turkey baster, and check the SG. I wouldn't pour the sample back in, even using sanitized equipment. Pouring it back can splash, and there is a risk of contamination however small from the equipment. Just drink the sample. That's what other people do.

Back