SMaSH us!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
What SMaSH (single-malt and single-hop) beers have people out there been trying? Have you been experimenting with different yeast strains in your batches (dividing batches, i mean) or other things like this?

I made a MO Cluster SMaSH. It was more of an experimental batch for the taste of the Cluster, as I would not make it again. It seems like it is missing something...

MO/Galena in kegs carbing. 5 of the 10Gallons got oaked with 2 oz french oak chips for a week. I also recommend checking the SMaSH group for more feedback.

You almost need to go with something with a little more body than 2/6row to get something to help out the hops. Otherwise it ends up rather bland. MO, vienna, munich are good choices. Decoction mashing and toasting some malt can bring even more to the table.

I tasted my 2 SMaSH's ;ast night. MO/Galena, one oaked one not. The oaked definitely tastes like wood and needs to sit a while. The non-oaked isn't too bad. It will benefit from sitting another week in the fridge carbing and I think it will get better just agin a little longer. It's only about 1 month old from brew day. As of now I wouldn't make it again the same, but I'll have no problem drinking this batch. I only expect it to get better though.
As for my LightDME/Galena Extract SMaSH (had some DME laying around not getting used) it came out surprisingly good. Tastes almost like a cream ale or pilsner. Only have 2gallons of it though.

I tasted my 2 SMaSH's ;ast night. MO/Galena, one oaked one not. The oaked definitely tastes like wood and needs to sit a while.

What did you use for oaking and what technique? Just ordered a couple of French Oak Spirals, but haven’t committed to a plan yet.

Back