Going on a Vermont beer road trip, looking for tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanuswalrus

Reaction score
So my girlfriend and I are planning a road trip out to Vermont. She wants to do some hiking, I want to pick up some awesome beer. We're planning on heading out the last weekend in September. We're planning on spending a couple nights in Burlington and a night or 2 in Montpelier.

The breweries I was thinking about hitting are Fiddlehead, the Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. I'm wondering if there are any tips people who have visited these places before might have that might help the experience go as smoothly as possible.

I've visited 3 Floyds a few times and have learned that some days are better for a visit than others. Also, that they tend to bottle on certain days. They also have limits on how much beer you can purchase.

Other than what is stated on these breweries websites, is there anything I should know before planning this trip? Or maybe even some other breweries I should check out while in VT, or along the way between Chicago and VT.

Fiddlehead and Hill Farmstead are best visited on weekdays. Fiddlehead has an awesome pizzeria attached (Folino's). Expect lines at Hill Farmstead on weekends. Don't bother with the Alchemist as their brewery is no longer open to the public. Prohibition Pig in Waterbury is great for lunch/dinner and they have many local brews on draft as well as their own brew pub in the back (tasty brews there too). Three Penny Taproom is the go-to in Montpelier.
Best time/place to grab a case of Heady - Tuesdays, 1:30pm at the City Market in Burlington. No line, no fuss. Don't tell anyone.

Good stuff. Thanks a lot @carvetop. Won't be to Vermont until Thursday, though. Hoping to find some Heady at some point. More looking forward to Hill Farmstead over the Alchemist. I plan on bringing some growlers to fill as well as purchasing one of their sweet 2L's. I'm also hoping to buy as many bottles as I possibly can to bring back to Chicago for some buddies. I'm wondering how I'm gonna carry 5 growlers and 24 bottles back to my car... If I'm reading the website correctly, 24 bottles and 5 growler fills is the total limit??

Yeah, I would go with what the website says. I've only been there once and just filled two growlers and purchased 3 bottles. Enjoy the trip!

Fiddlehead is well worth it. Every other Saturday they have a can release of Second Fiddle, so hopefully it is the weekend you are here. Otherwise they have something available for sale always. Samples are FREE although I am sure there is a limit.

Now that the expansion is complete and open at Hill Farm, the wait time is greatly changed.

I walked in a couple Saturdays ago at around 4:45, walked right up to the counter and got what I wanted. Not a single person in my way, which is WAY different from the almost 2 hour wait from a few months ago.

Pro Pig is a DEFINITE stop if you ask me. Good food and great beers.

Same goes for 3P Taproom.

A brief trip up I89 to St. Albans to 14th Star Brewery would also be on my list. Valor Ale is an awesome beer that needs to be tasted (1492 is another hop forward aroma treat)

You want a destination map?
Go here:
http://www.vermontbrewers.com/membermap/

:rockin::rockin::rockin:

I go to Vermont regularly as my wifes family all reside in Saint Johnsbury VT..I have been to the Magic Hat Brewery, Longtrail, Switchback and Lawsons as well as the PPig. All are great spots to visit, grab some beer and brewery swag. Waterbury is a great stop to spend an afternoon. Arvads bar in Waterbury has some of the best Jalapeno Mac and Cheese I have ever had. Its made with Cabot cheese and can be served with a glass of heady if they have any on tap.
I did not make it to the Alchemist brewery before it closed to the public. Honestly, I like Heady, but am not nuts over it like most are..I have to drink it in moderation as the amount of hops in there gives me wicked indigestion..

Enjoy your road trip and take in the scenery as well as the local liquids..VT is a beautiful state!
:mug:

I did not make it to the Alchemist brewery before it closed to the public. Honestly, I like Heady, but am not nuts over it like most are..I have to drink it in moderation as the amount of hops in there gives me wicked indigestion..

Enjoy your road trip and take in the scenery as well as the local liquids..VT is a beautiful state!
:mug:

I managed to get one or two cases every year, I have noticed that it is the yeast that gives me indigestion .I avoid this by not drinking from the camp, as recommended. Instead I try to avoid shaking the can as much as possible prior to pouring. I have been saving some of the yeast to culture. I believe it's the abundance in the can that makes me sick.

OP- I recommend Rock Art as well- its in Morrisville which is on the scenic route from BTV to Montpelier...Their Vermonster Barleywine is quite good. Heading down that way also makes you pass their old location that someone else has moved into, and whatever else is currently in Stowe (van trappe, maybe the shed reopened there? IDK) and you'll pass Ben and Jerry's before you get back to the highway in Waterbury.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Glad to hear about the possible shorter wait times at Hill Farmstead. I'm wondering about their tap room there.. is there a good amount of seating in there? Also, my girlfriend is 20 years old, will she be able to get into their tap room while I try a couple beers? Or is it really only a to-go thing there?

Do you know which route you are taking to VT? There is more to VT beer than HT and HF.

East side - if coming from the Albany area. From south to north:
Bennington - Northshire Brewing (skip Madison Brewing)
Bridgewater - Long Trail
Brandon - Foley Bros. Brewing
Middlebury - Drop Inn, Otter Creek
Bristol - Bobcat Cafe (nice selection of beers from many brewers)
Warren - Lawson's Finest Fluids (Warren Store on Thursdays is your best bet)
Shelburne - Fiddlehead (see above)
S. Burlington - Magic Hat (skip it)
Burlington - Switchback, Citizen Cider, Zero Gravity (in American Flatbread). Plenty of places to get HT or HF on tap or cans.
Winooski - Four Quarters
St. Albans - 14th Star

West side - if coming up I-91:
Brattleboro -Hermit Thrush makes great sours and belgians, Whetstone has a nice tap set up (don't bother with their own brews), McNeil's has cans and bombers to go.
Windsor - along I-91 south of White River Junction: stop in and see the big boys at Harpoon
If you are stuck on going to HF, stop by Grateful Hands in Danbury.

Along I-89 (Montpelier/Stowe/Waterbury)
Get lunch and beer at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier - a must
Waterbury - another great taproom is Prohibition Pig. great selection of VT beers
Stowe - Trapp Family Brewing ($$$ to stay at the lodge, but pretty freakin' great)
Morrisville - Lost Nation Brewing

There's the shortened list! Have a great time.

Haven't exactly researched the best way to get there from Chicago, but taking a brief glimpse at the map, it's looking like 90 all the way to Albany, then Rte 4 up thru Whitehall and then up thru Middlebury, Shelburne and finally into Burlington.

I'm gonna try to hit most of these places on this trip but that's seriously doubtful considering I'll only be there for 3 days and at least 1 of those days will be filled w/ hiking.

Also, it appears that (according to what's available right now at the brewery) Hill Farmstead only bottles their saison styles, and all their IPAs/pales are all kegged to fill growlers. Is that accurate?

I'm gonna try to hit most of these places on this trip but that's seriously doubtful considering I'll only be there for 3 days and at least 1 of those days will be filled w/ hiking.

So you've got 2 days? Good luck.

HF is basically an hour and a half each way from Burlington. It's way up a dirt road, to another dirt road, to a fork in the dirt road where you will get lost, and then you will be lucky to not have to wait in line for another hour or two. It's a day trip where you will be lucky to stop in Montpelier for a slider and the taps at Three Penny.

I'd suggest getting growlers filled at Fiddlehead and seeing what the Growler Garage in S. Burlington has on tap when you visit. Another good location is the Beverage Warehouse in Winooski for bottles and cans. U-Save Bev and Pearl St. Bev also have growler stations. You will have to see what's available when you are here.

+1 on

Hill Farmstead - get there early, or end up waiting. what they have on tap is typically available to go, and they usually have pre-bottle selections (not whats on tap) bring cash for tasters its easier for you and them

Lost Nation - Get the Gose and the burger

Pro Pig - Good food, good beer

Four Quarters - now doing Crowlers (32oz cans) to go and some bottles

Rock Art - open earliest, almost all available in bottles, plus a lot of other choices

Aslo

American Flatbread/ Zero Gravity - Great pizza, quite a few good beer choices

Citizen Cider

Das Bier Haus - not local beer but food is good and a decent beer selection, mostly German (Yeager Burger with an egg)

Personally not a fan of Vermont Brewery but that just my opinion.

Been twice since November had a great time both trips.

zero gravity

Good call. I look forward to when they open the tap room on Pine Street. I'm a big fan.

HF is in the boonies in the NE part of the state. I grew up near there. It's somewhere between a hour to hour and half from BTV. Somewhat of a day trip.

OP, you are following a pretty decent beer trail on your way into town. Middlebury has Drop in and Otter Creek. From there Fiddlehead is on your way into Burlington. Then Magic Hat (if that's your kind of party), and then if you take Pine Street into town you have Switchback and Queen City (love the brewery, not a fan of the beers). VPB probably isn't worth a visit if you're time is limited (I still love it, it was my gateway beer), but Flatbread (Zero Gravity) is a good time.

If you are downtown, the Farmhouse usually has many excellent offerings from a lot of the previously mentioned brewers. I had an Abner there the other day. They always have Trapp offerings, which I'm a big fan of. The burger there is pretty excellent.

It's in the 80's and sunny here, you better get here quick....

Don't forget the Allen's Coffee Brandy. You need to get the full experience

Oh come on, you all know they drink it in Vermont too!

Was just in VT last week! Went to Hill Farm, FH etc...in Burlington go to eat / drink at Farmhouse Tap and Grill. Wish I had more time in Burlington...AWESOME town!

Wow, I've been going to Vermont for decades and am bookmarking this thread.

My ratings: Harpoon over Long Trail over that little brewpub in Bennington. That is the extent of my limited experience.

Stratton Mountain has a Brewfest in October that features regional beers, live music and a chili fund raiser. My last 3 trips have been fun.

You need to start doing beer further north!

Indeed. We've got some awesome stuff up here in the upper half of the state.
Looking back over this thread and realizing that OP is on a time budget, the options are limited.

HF is a little bit of a drive, I agree, and probably not the best option if you have limited time.
The suggestion of Otter Creek, Magic Hat, Fiddlehead is good since they are all on your route.
Then a little road trip from Burlington to Morrisville for Lost Nation (great food and beer) and Rock Art and then Montpelier to 3PT and dinner.

We're spending at least one night in Montpelier so I was thinking HF wouldn't be too bad of a trip from there. I really had my mind set on making it to the actual HF brewery, but if I'm running extremely short on time, there are several places to fill growlers of some of their IPAs/pales, correct? As well as many bottle shops selling their bottled beers? I've got people here in Chicago already asking me to grab them as much HF as I can. Also hoping to grab some Jack's Abby as I see they distribute to VT. Love good lagers and hear great things about them.

So far, it seems like I have to hit up Prohibition Pig and Three Penny Taproom for lunch/dinner. Checked out their websites, looks like these 2 places are a lock. You guys are awesome for all this great feedback. Thanks again!

We're spending at least one night in Montpelier so I was thinking HF wouldn't be too bad of a trip from there. I really had my mind set on making it to the actual HF brewery, but if I'm running extremely short on time, there are several places to fill growlers of some of their IPAs/pales, correct? As well as many bottle shops selling their bottled beers? I've got people here in Chicago already asking me to grab them as much HF as I can. Also hoping to grab some Jack's Abby as I see they distribute to VT. Love good lagers and hear great things about them.

To address your main points:
HF would not be a bad trip from Montpelier, perhaps 30-45 min drive.
I will warn you that GPS may not get you there accurately and if it does, it may be on a Class IV road which is technically a road (or at least once was).
My friends GPS took him right there with no trouble at all, so perhaps if the software is up to date you will be fine.
I would suggest later in the day (and I am not even sure if they are open on Sundays anymore)

I may be wrong on the next point, but I do not think that there are a lot of places to get their beers in a growler (or bottles for that matter) outside of the brewery. I say this only because I have not heard of a lot of instances where people were getting HF anyplace else.

Jacks Abbey is delicious. IPL is very tasty.
They have something called Framinghammer.... Close to 10%abv if I remember correctly and it is truly one of those "drink one and savor it, cuz you may not remember if you have two.....:mug:

I am not aware of anywhere in BTV (or anywhere outside of Greensboro) where you can get a growler fill of HF. I would be happy to learn something here.

Farmhouse grill in Burlington had about a half dozen HF beers on tap about a month ago.

+1 on Jack Abby! I say boo to Framinghammer, and a big yes to Mass Rising!

14-15-16....

+1 on not totally relying on GPS - but if you do use a phone for GPS make sure you have it start the directions before you get too far from Montpelier, or you might not have service.

Farmhouse grill in Burlington had about a half dozen HF beers on tap about a month ago.

+1 on Jack Abby! I say boo to Framinghammer, and a big yes to Mass Rising!

+2 on JA - get their Kiwi Rising if you can find it... but that might be a fall only release.

14-15-16....

you might not have service.

Yeah, the route 14 to 15 to 16 is good, but it is the last 2 miles that is the tricky part.
Taylor Rd isn't marked with a road sign anymore.
And Hill Rd is off of that.

And there is no might not have service, you WILL NOT have service.
So after you get on 16 outside Hardwick going towards Barton, you have to use landmarks as a reference.
Go past Greensboro and look for what the locals call Four Corners.
Sparhawk Rd on the right and Taylor on the left.
Left on Taylor, stay left and then bear right at the Y and then left on Hill Rd.

Yup. I'm just reiterating that its not that hard to get there and it seems like OP is pretty set on getting some Hill Farmstead. Pretty nice drive up that way too - my sister works in Hardwick and lives in Glover, I love it up there. 3 days is not enough!

OP - if (for some reason) you want to keep heading north from HF, Parker Pie is awesome and almost always has some HF on tap - and killer Pizza. If you're heading south on I89 for some reason, Worthy Burger in Royalton has good, local burgers (and tallow fries) and also almost always has HF on tap. No growler fills at either location.

I will warn you that GPS may not get you there accurately and if it does, it may be on a Class IV road which is technically a road (or at least once was).
My friends GPS took him right there with no trouble at all, so perhaps if the software is up to date you will be fine.

Your phone will not work.

Don't trust your GPS. My GPS took me onto something that used to be a road. I drove by it 5 times before I realized where the GPS wanted me to go. It was a 5 ft wide opening in a forest. It was made of dirt. It went straight up the side of a mountain at a 45 degree angle. I don't think a car had been on it in at least 50 years, maybe never. I'm pretty sure there were tracks from a horse and buggy. I'd say it was a Class IX road.

I ended up using my GPS to get to Greensboro Bend, VT. Once I was there my GPS gave me a good route to the brewery. There's a nice little general store there. They had a decent beer selection.

Even the trip to Greensboro Bend was interesting. It took me over a mountain on a dirt road through some questionable-looking peoples' back yards. There were grimy, barefoot kids just standing on the side of the road watching us go by. It was a little creepy. I think I heard Dueling Banjos in the distance. :D

The brewery was nice though. Worth the trip. The general consensus was to get there Thursday morning. I waited a few hours to get growler fills, but when I left the line was really long.

May i suggest that one of you go to google maps and layout a route to HF and a post a link to that route back on here?

I don't think you can get HF growler fills except at their brewery. If you're here for hiking, plan a hike out near their brewery, and end the nice day of hiking at their brewery? I think the Mule Bar in Winooski has HF on tap, as well as the Farmhouse Tap and Grill, as mentioned earlier. I've also had it a Prohibition Pig in Waterbury.

If in Burlington, I'll second zero gravity. Drove by their new brewery/tasting room just last night, they had their soft opening last night and will be open for business I think this weekend, so you've got that.

Fiddlehead - I like their beers, they've come a long way since they first opened. If you're looking for Heady, check their website for delivery days. They are building a new brewery in Stowe which will help with their delivery/availability, but won't help you in your timeframe.

14th star is available in cans locally - I'd pick up some of that instead of visiting their brewery, since you've got limited time, but Valor Ale is good stuff.

If you can find some Lawson's, their sip of sunshine is great, too.

Damn, we're spoiled up here!

Don't trust your GPS. My GPS took me onto something that used to be a road. I drove by it 5 times before I realized where the GPS wanted me to go. It was a 5 ft wide opening in a forest. It was made of dirt. It went straight up the side of a mountain at a 45 degree angle. I don't think a car had been on it in at least 50 years, maybe never. I'm pretty sure there were tracks from a horse and buggy. I'd say it was a Class IX road.

I've been on that road... It's called Dry Pond Road, which is funny because at one point I had to cross a small 4' creek that I got out and checked with a stick for depth and quick-sandedness...
Also got almost to the top and met 3 guys on ATV's... We all had a good laugh and even had a sip of some Edward (they had just left the brewery)

May i suggest that one of you go to google maps and layout a route to HF and a post a link to that route back on here?

ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE.....

Sounds like I'm going to have to write down all these directions to HF on a piece of paper beforehand.

Lawson's sounds like they make some good stuff, but difficult to find their beer packaged?

Sounds like I'm going to have to write down all these directions to HF on a piece of paper beforehand.

Lawson's sounds like they make some good stuff, but difficult to find their beer packaged?

It is easier to find Lawson's packaged beer in Connecticut (where it is brewed):cross:

Hunger Mountain Coop might have it in Montpelier, 1 4-pack limit. M&M beverage might as well.

re finding it in CT- I wish... But then again I'm not too close to two roads..

Just got back today. Long drive but well worth it. Managed to get some Second Fiddle, Sip of Sunshine and Super Session #2, Lawsons/Otter Creek Double Dose IPA, Heady Topper, tons of Hill Farmstead, Crooked Stave (I was surprised to see that they had their stuff in VT), Jack's Abby... pretty much everything I was hoping to get.

We made it to Pro Pig and the 3 Penny Tap, as well as The Bench in Stowe. All had awesome beer and really food. Pro Pig had to be my favorite, their beers were much better than I expected. Had an awesome lime APA with Wakatu hops and lemon juice / zest. I was pleasantly surprised to see an Alchemist beer I didn't even know existed (Focal Banger) and I think I had a can of it at every restaurant in VT we ate at during the trip.

I was blown away by Fiddlehead and may go as far as saying that their IPA was the best I had on the trip, but I've yet to crack open any of my Hill Farmstead growlers at this point (and still haven't opened a can of Second Fiddle either). Got a growler of a brand new Brett beer from Fiddlehead in the fridge called Brett's Berry Medley w/ Raspberries, blueberries and strawberries that I'm excited to enjoy. Folino's was great pizza too..

The only negative experience I had was at Winooski Beverage when trying to get some Heady cans on Thursday.. the guys that work there come off extremely snobby and were hesitant to even tell me when they were bringing the Heady out. It was Vermont beer week so they were doing things a bit differently than usual, I guess (which I had to find out thru another customer who was kind enough to bring me into the loop). The fact that I got a 4-pack of Sip of Sunshine there eased my pain, though.

In the end, I learned that Vermont beer IS all it's cracked up to be and I'm going to be kinda sad when I finally manage to finish all of these beers that now line my fridge.. Not to mention the fact that the state itself is beautiful. Had a great time hiking a couple mountains (Pinnacle and Mansfield).. I wouldn't mind living there someday.

Back