Conical fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
hello there i know most people use conical fermentors for brewing large batches of beer, but couldnt one use them for making mead in as well?

i thought u could but with mead you have to rack multi times for it to clear thats why i was asking.

Even better for a conical because it is much easier to clearify the mead while leaving the goop behind. Actually if you can drop the spent yeast and goop from the bottom of the conical periodically, why would you have to rack off multiple times?

thats why i was asking about it because i didnt know that it would be easier to use this for mead than normal carboys, wasnt sure.

You rack to move the liquid off the top of the gunk on the bottom. The whole point of a conical is to reverse the process. Remove the gunk from the bottom without moving the liquid.

Someday... someday... :)

k i see i was asking because if i get one im going to be using it to make mead since it takes so long to make the way i make it. Need a better rig, probably will eith get the 10 gallon or the 20 gallon one.

Back