Mash/Lauter Tun Configuration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
I am going all-grain after about 15 batches of extract.

I have a 70 Quart coleman exterme cooler at home. At the bottom of the inside it is 11x26". The bed of the cooler is sloped and feeds into a cavity leading to a built in drain.

Eventually I want to do 10 gallon batches. Starting out, I figure I should do 5 gallon batches just to get used to it.

My question is: Will this size cooler be too shallow for a 5 gallon batch? Does the drainage method factor into this? I can do either a manifold made out of CPVC, or a stainless steel braid.

Thanks, going all grain is going to rule!

I have that cooler for big beers (25# + grain bills), but it is too big for a 5 gallon batch IMHO. For an average 10# of grain for a 5 gallon batch, you only need 3.93 gallons of cooler space for mashing. At 17.5 gallons, the 70 qt. Igloo is overkill for a 5 gallon batch and you will have a hard time maintaining proper mash temp for 60 minutes with so much empty space.

I have that cooler for big beers (25# + grain bills), but it is too big for a 5 gallon batch IMHO. For an average 10# of grain for a 5 gallon batch, you only need 3.93 gallons of cooler space for mashing. At 17.5 gallons, the 70 qt. Igloo is overkill for a 5 gallon batch and you will have a hard time maintaining proper mash temp for 60 minutes with so much empty space.

Thanks Edwort.... I've been crunching numbers and trying to hypothesize over how much space I would need to mash for a 5 gallon batch before I dropped money on a 5 gallon rubbermaid, since I was worried it wouldnt be enough. (most people on here seem to use bigger coolers for MLTs)

Thanks for such precise numbers!

Thanks Edwort.... I've been crunching numbers and trying to hypothesize over how much space I would need to mash for a 5 gallon batch before I dropped money on a 5 gallon rubbermaid, since I was worried it wouldnt be enough. (most people on here seem to use bigger coolers for MLTs)

Thanks for such precise numbers!

No problem. If you ever expect to make big IPA's or 10 gallon batches, I highly recommend getting a 10 gallon Rubbermaid water cooler. I had my 5 gallon for 2 batches before I donated it to my son's Boy Scout Troop and bought a 10 gallon. I still use it for 5 and 10 gallon batches and use the 70 qt Igloo extreme for the 15 gallon batches and Imperial Beers.

Here's a helpful calculator for checking what you need to mash it.

Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

i use the coleman extreme 52 qt for 5 gallon batches. i just did my first AG last week and i had a 14 lb bill and still had a lot of room left in the cooler.
1110081539-1.jpg

Back