Aging beer: Facts, myths, and discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What beers do not like to age? I have a couple freezers I use to store kegs until a tap opens. But I don't want to have too many in the bullpen if there are downsides to "aging". I'm guessing anything hoppy will lose it's hoppiness over time...not sure how fast though

I find that my bottled APA's start to lose their hoppiness in about 2 months and it will be pretty much gone at the end of 3 months. The people who practice low dissolved oxygen (LODO) brewing may be able to extend that. I hope one will join this discussion.

CASK CONDITIONING

There is a pretty good thread on this on the AHA forum, but here is the basic deal.
New or used cask, I treat them the same (mostly). First, I boil ~6 gallons of water. Fill the cask and let it soak. You may luck out and have no leaks, if it does leak, let it soak longer. The wood will swell and seal the leaks (mostly). After the wood is swelled and not leaking, dump the water and repeat. The hot water will kill just about all bacteria.
Next, take a fifth of bourbon, and pour it in. Install bungs, and shake it up, roll it around, and try to get the bourbon on all interior surfaces. Then dump it out. You can save the bourbon for another cask. You're now ready for beer! Take frequent taste samples, if you leave it too long, it can get too oaky.

IMG_20191016_102911944_HDR~2.jpg

This is one I'm prepping for an RIS that is winding down in primary. It's on its second water soak, I still need to do a bourbon rinse to sterilize it.

Look ma! No leaks!

IMG_1692.JPG

If you can believe it I made this batch of pecan porter 9 years ago. I’ve been so busy making beers professionally that I never felt the need to try it until now. I can’t describe how great it aged. The deep oak and almost bourbon quality it developed is amazing. I actually hate to drink it but I love it so much and am afraid it might not be as good later so cheers or prost!

View attachment 656133

If you can believe it I made this batch of pecan porter 9 years ago. I’ve been so busy making beers professionally that I never felt the need to try it until now. I can’t describe how great it aged. The deep oak and almost bourbon quality it developed is amazing. I actually hate to drink it but I love it so much and am afraid it might not be as good later so cheers or prost!

Ahhhhhh! The Big Texan!

Seems like I make it back there once every couple of years when traveling East coast to West and pass thru Amarillo. Fun place, especially since they added the brewery out back. Ever tackle the 72 oz steak?

Brooo Brother

My favorite styles is Saison, Wheat Ale (summer), Dubbel, Porter and Stout (winter), mostly about 5% ABV and 30 IBU, without temperature control, any fining or cold crash and is bottle carbonated (I not have space for kegs). Fermentation two weeks, bottle condition one week, few more days in fridge and drink. After another month, it's definitely better, but it's really good this way. Me and my friends drink too fast to last. I agree that simple recipes with less hops and healthy yeast are the key to shortening the time from brewing to drinking.

I find that my bottled APA's start to lose their hoppiness in about 2 months and it will be pretty much gone at the end of 3 months. The people who practice low dissolved oxygen (LODO) brewing may be able to extend that. I hope one will join this discussion.

Yes I have had pale ales and hoppy beers go 12 months + with zero degradation.

That's a very good result. I would also be interested in how you do it?

Everything I practice is laid out on my blog in my sig.

http://www.********************/blog/

This one I think lays out most of the cold side...

http://www.********************/brewing-methods/beer-serving-oxygen-ingress/

Everything I practice is laid out on my blog in my sig.

http://www.********************/blog/

This one I think lays out most of the cold side...

http://www.********************/brewing-methods/beer-serving-oxygen-ingress/

Unfortunately, not everyone has the equipment and capabilities to do this, but it's good to know what to look for. That's why I stick to that "Brew simple - Drink fast".

Oxygen is a large factor in flavor (lacking), aroma (lacking), color(darker)in aging. The others are fatty acids. Limit those and you limit oxidation. The only magic bullet is to mitigate oxygen.

Oxygen is a large factor in flavor (lacking), aroma (lacking), color(darker)in aging. The others are fatty acids. Limit those and you limit oxidation. The only magic bullet is to mitigate oxygen.
I read several of your blog posts. This is very interesting. I know LODO can be a polarizing topic on this forum. I'm guessing I should check out the LODO thread (and read more of your blog) for additional info. Thanks for the link :ban:

Just went through a spat of bottling BIG (11% and up) beers from my club's barrel aging program.

Problem is, I don't have the cooler space to keep all the bottles.

Wondering if they will do OK staying in the 70* air conditioned house for a year...

Just went through a spat of bottling BIG (11% and up) beers from my club's barrel aging program.

Wondering if they will do OK staying in the 70* air conditioned house for a year...
My understanding is the aging will happen quicker the warmer it is kept above the cellar temp of 50 - 55*. Those big beers should be fine for a year.

That's my "process". I don't purposefully age beers but usually 'beer gun' to bottles when I need keg space. Just keep them out of the light. Light is the killer. Mine are in boxes under the computer desk. I'd recommend pulling one every 2-3 months and writing down your assessment. My big beers are really good after 4 months and great after 6. To be honest for my taste buds, changes between 6-12 months start getting more subtle but not enough to just stare at my great beer. I brew 10+% multiple times a year, including true BAs and that's been my experience.

And remember....
3cec76928bec3a6b59b79730fd56dbdc.jpeg

My understanding is the aging will happen quicker the warmer it is kept above the cellar temp of 50 - 55*. Those big beers should be fine for a year.

That's my "process". I don't purposefully age beers but usually 'beer gun' to bottles when I need keg space. Just keep them out of the light. Light is the killer. Mine are in boxes under the computer desk. I'd recommend pulling one every 2-3 months and writing down your assessment. My big beers are really good after 4 months and great after 6. To be honest for my taste buds, changes between 6-12 months start getting more subtle but not enough to just stare at my great beer. I brew 10+% multiple times a year, including true BAs and that's been my experience.

And remember....

Good to hear. One of these is a Wee Heavy aged in one of my club's barrels for 4 months, the other is a non-barrel aged wheatwine (that I'm trading one case with one of the club's brewers who has theirs in the barrel). Guess it gets to live in my closet for a while!

Back