No more bubbles =(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gray

Reaction score
Hey there! new here and am a little concerned about my situation...

basically, I bought a homebrew kit yesterday.. I boiled my "malt extract" added hops etc and after letting it cool, threw it in a carboy..( 5 gal carboy glass) following the instructions i used a blow off tube opposed to just straight up airlock and submerged one end in sanitized solution... by 12:00am (late at night) the beer was in carboy and the yeast was pitched (dry yeast) I did not rehydrate the yeast and there was nothing on the package other than "Brewers Yeast" i threw on my rubber seal/blow off tube and went to bed.. by waking up this morning the blow off tube had no foam or anything but was bubbling in the water jar about 2-3 times every 20-30 seconds or so... the foam was rising and i was extremely excited ( such a joy to see first beer fermenting =) ) anyways... unfortunetly the coldest i could get the room when i pitched the yeast was around 75-78 degrees... i threw on the AC and closed the door/ turned out the light.. btw, this is all being done in a bathroom i no longer use.. so today, (30 hours after pitching) i go back in to the brew room and there are no bubbles... the beer is a little lighter color and foam seems to have settled a little. no bubbles in the water jar and there looks to be little activity in the carboy (as far as swirling and bubbling) i do not have a hydrometer and never got a reading of OG... i could upload some pics if u think u could help figure out whats up... first tho let me take a shot in the dark and if someone could tell me if i blew it or not =D

i assume.. because of the high temp.. the yeast fermeneted a little fast, and although no signs of fermentation are evident.. its possible that the yeast is still eating away sugar? hmmm.... btw, the malt extract i bought was an amber ale... any help would be appreciated!! hope im alright- thanks!

Hey there! new here and am a little concerned about my situation...

basically, I bought a homebrew kit yesterday.. I boiled my "malt extract" added hops etc and after letting it cool, threw it in a carboy..( 5 gal carboy glass) following the instructions i used a blow off tube opposed to just straight up airlock and submerged one end in sanitized solution... by 12:00am (late at night) the beer was in carboy and the yeast was pitched (dry yeast) I did not rehydrate the yeast and there was nothing on the package other than "Brewers Yeast" i threw on my rubber seal/blow off tube and went to bed.. by waking up this morning the blow off tube had no foam or anything but was bubbling in the water jar about 2-3 times every 20-30 seconds or so... the foam was rising and i was extremely excited ( such a joy to see first beer fermenting =) ) anyways... unfortunetly the coldest i could get the room when i pitched the yeast was around 75-78 degrees... i threw on the AC and closed the door/ turned out the light.. btw, this is all being done in a bathroom i no longer use.. so today, (30 hours after pitching) i go back in to the brew room and there are no bubbles... the beer is a little lighter color and foam seems to have settled a little. no bubbles in the water jar and there looks to be little activity in the carboy (as far as swirling and bubbling) i do not have a hydrometer and never got a reading of OG... i could upload some pics if u think u could help figure out whats up... first tho let me take a shot in the dark and if someone could tell me if i blew it or not =D

i assume.. because of the high temp.. the yeast fermeneted a little fast, and although no signs of fermentation are evident.. its possible that the yeast is still eating away sugar? hmmm.... btw, the malt extract i bought was an amber ale... any help would be appreciated!! hope im alright- thanks!

It sounds like you had a hot and fast fermentation. It sounds like it's just about finished up. I've had beers finish fast before, so that's not a problem. The only issues you might have are related to the hot temperature. Ales like to ferment at around 65 degrees for best flavor. If the ambient temperature was warmer than that, and the wort wasn't very cool to begin with, the temperature inside the carboy could have been 80-90 degrees. That would explain why it fermented so fast (yeast love it hot), but might leave you with some off-flavors that come from fermenting so hot.

It should be left alone to finish up. Even after the bulk of fermentation is over, the yeast are still working. The fermentation will completely finish, and the yeast will then even digest their own waste products (like diacetyl) "cleaning up" the flavor a bit. It's good to let it sit at least 10 days or so, and then either rack to a clearing vessel or let it sit another week or two to clear and condition.

It sounds like you've got beer!:mug:

for sure, thats what i kind of figured.. the wort cooled for a while though, side of pot was almost room temp.. (80 or so) and when fermenting i have thermometer stuck on the side of my carboy and it was staying at around 78* i guess ill just wait another week or so... i dont have another carboy or anything so would i be good to rack to bottles in 7 more days or so? (10 days total) :mug::mug: cheers

I had the same thing happen to me with my first batch. I brewed a pale ale and the temp in the bucket was about 78 degrees. I brewed the batch at night and the next day after work it was fermenting fine. When I got up the next morning the fermentation had stopped bubbling completely and never bubbled again. I bottled the beer after 10 days and let it sit in the bottle for a few weeks and it tasted great.

My next batch I placed the bucket in a tub with a few inches of water and used the towel trick with the fan. Kept the batch at 70-71 degrees in the bucket and the fermentation lasted about 24 hours longer but still finished up quick. I use brewers best kits and just pitch in the dry muntons yeast and it seems to act fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Back