Blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am about to start a saison which I have heard can have quite a vigorous fermentation and I was advised to use a blowoff hose. I have one of those standard ale pale plastic buckets for primary and I was just wondering what people use to fashion a blowoff tube with that little hole. Thanks!

You could make the hole bigger and use a piece of tubing to fit.
I commonly use a three piece airlock and remove the center cap, attaching the blow-off tube over the post in the center.

I tried to get the standard siphon tube onto an airlock and it was too small... What size tubing do I need for this?

Thanks

This is all you need to do

Ailockbo1.jpg

Airlockbo2.jpg

No modifications necessary.....

Can I just say that I like seeing Revvy's setup. It gives me confidence that I am doing something right. My Blowoff Setup is just like his. Nice to see someone with experiences setup.

Can I just say that I like seeing Revvy's setup. It gives me confidence that I am doing something right. My Blowoff Setup is just like his. Nice to see someone with experiences setup.

I came upon it totally by accident and necessity at about 5:30 am one day...(Eviltoj knows that I get up at that time during the work week) I had pitched a batch on a used yeastcake the night before. I walked into my living room to make coffee and decided to "gaze lovingly" at my fermenter...I opened my brew closet and looked down to see my first filled airlock and pretty explosive fermentation....with one eye still glued shut I grabbed my bottling hose and jambed it on my airlock (making a slit first)....I'm proud to say that it was all done before having my morning coffee!!!!!!!

I even think I may have had the presence of mind to sanitize it...but I'm not sure....

It's a pretty good use of all those airlocks where you lost one of the pieces. :mug:

i've never used a blowoff tube (still new to brewing). I was wondering if the water in the jar at the end needs to be sanitized or boiled? Or can you just use tap water?

i've never used a blowoff tube (still new to brewing). I was wondering if the water in the jar at the end needs to be sanitized or boiled? Or can you just use tap water?

The water needs to be sanitized, in case it happens to suck back into the bucket. You can also use vodka, but that much may be considered alcohol abuse:)

i have heard that it is a good idea to cut off the very bottom of the airlock when using it w/ a blow-off tube (i.e., just make bigger hole at bottom where it goes into bucket). The small hole can be a clog point and will cause it to blow off even w/ tube at end

Back