Oregon puree vs. fresh fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
I am planning a Raspberry Wheat, and just wanted to see if people had any opinions or experience with using the Orgeon purees versus fresh fruit. I am steering clear of the extract flavoring due to so many people mentioning the "soapy" flavor they can impart. Any feedback is welcome, and thanks!

I have not used it myself, but have read and heard that it is better than fresh fruit. It's already pureed and pasturized. You just have to dump it int the secondary.

The Oregon Puree is the best, it's easier to work with and sterilization isn't an issue. Much better results using it...plus who doesn't love Oregon right?!

Another option is frozen. It would give something similar to puree when unfrozen (remember, freezing breaks cell walls). It is the most common method used and is mentioned in "Designing great beers". If you wouldn't mind sharing your recipe, I would like to make one soon-ish and would like to compare (I'll post mine when I get on my laptop).

Thanks

Brewsmith and Klainmeister: Those are the exact reasons I am so tempted to use the Oregon puree. It seems like everyone thinks they work well, and are easier than dealing with fresh fruit. Thanks!

mrfocus: I don't have a recipe yet. I may try to devise one from looking at what others have done, but I am also considering this for my first AG, so I might keep things simple and order a kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. Please post yours, I'd be interested in seeing it. And thanks for the frozen fruit recommendation - I will keep it in mind.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I find that fresh/frozen fruit can impart a bitter taste in the beer, whereas oregon purees do not.

Yikes! Thanks for the info, I definitely want to avoid that.

:off: Kind of an aside, but does anyone have recommendations for particular hops they've liked best in a raspberry wheat?

I wouldn't use many. I'd keep the bittering moderate, and I don't think I'd do any flavor or aroma additions. You don't want to compete with the raspberry.

I'd keep the bittering fairly light and without any flavor or aroma additions that would get in the way of the fruit. Think what hops go well in an american wheat. Some of the german varieties are classic - Hallertauer, Tettnanger. An American variety that can work would be something like Willamette.

Yeah, I didn't think I'd want too much hoppiness in there, I will aim to keep the bitterness on the mild side. Thanks bird!

And thanks for the specific recommendations Brewsmith - I think I've got some Willamette in the freezer. :ban:

Nah! I do a RW that uses 6# of whole FRESH raspberries and it rocks. WAY better than anything out of a can or bag! Just my .02$. I like Hallertaur for hops though.

I did a blackberry wheat a while back and used the Oregon puree... it was super easy and the flavor was just right... not too fruity. For hops I used 1oz of Hallertau.
Prost!

Code:
Raspberry Wheat 
Weizen/Weissbier 

Type: Extract
 Date: 2008-01-19 
Batch Size: 6,00 gal
 Brewer: Ross Wallbridge 
Boil Size: 3,57 gal Asst Brewer:  
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: Brew Pot (3 Gallon)  
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35,0  Brewhouse Efficiency: - 
Taste Notes:  

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU 
6,61 lb Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 58,74 % 
2,65 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 23,50 % 
1,00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM) Grain 8,88 % 
1,00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2,0 SRM) Grain 8,88 % 
0,88 oz Hallertauer [3,90 %] (60 min) Hops 10,4 IBU 
5,28 lb Raspberry, frozen (Secondary 2,0 weeks) Misc  
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1,057 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 1,010 SG 
Est Final Gravity: 1,015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1,005 SG 
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5,52 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0,65 % 
Bitterness: 12,2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint 
Est Color: 8,7 SRM Color: Color

Although it's written that I'm using US-04, I may use WB-06 (I haven't looked up the differences yet). Any feedback is appreciated.

Personally I have used both fruit extracts as well as the oregon purees. I think that the extracts are a better way to go. But, I did make a pineapple blonde using canned dole pineapple and it turned out awesome. If you use the oregon puree and you do not like it do not give up try again with the extract.

Latest posts

Back