Gluten Free American Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash_Mathew

Reaction score
This beer turned out AMAZING. Had some American hops left over from another failed attempt. This one worked well. Imperial 3 Gallon batch. 2.20lb Crystal Buckwheat. 8.82oz of untoasted oats 2.20lb of clear candi syrup 2.20lb of dark brown sugar All thrown in at once at the beginning, and heated to 160f/70c. Held for two hours. Hops were Cluster and Simco. Schedule as follows. Ibu 32 0.25oz Cluster 60 minutes 0.25oz Simco 30 minutes 0.50oz Cluster 20 minutes 0.50oz Simco 10 minutes According to brew pal, SG was 1.057 and FG was 1.013. Making it about 5.8% Yeast is Safale S-04. Kegged Sunday just gone, but thought I would sample. Let me know what you think. image-4169449935.jpg image-2020460264.jpg image-1796741981.jpg image-2437589947.jpg

Beer looks pretty, cloudy but pretty. Does it taste thin? That's a lot of simple sugars.

American hops and english yeast. I like that combo a lot. Simcoe is a great hop of course.

Caramel, creamy. The hops are there, but not as in your face as an IPA. It's actually quite balanced. Malt hit first, then the hops follow. I WILL be making this again.

Osedax said:
Beer looks pretty, cloudy but pretty. Does it taste thin? That's a lot of simple sugars. American hops and english yeast. I like that combo a lot. Simcoe is a great hop of course.

Actually no. It's got a REALLY nice body to it. Quite thick. It is quite clear, maybe it's just the angle or the light. You can see through it, now. The ones from the other day was still a tad cloudy.

Thanks man. It was originally supposed to be a stout, but the candi syrup wouldn't change colour. So I used it anyway, and it became and American Amber. Haha Next time, I will do it a day or two before, just to make sure it is done.

It takes a few hours in the correct temperature and ph range. I've got a decent process but, it still takes a looooong time. I just did an imperial black ipa with 2lbs of black candi syrup. I wanna say around 90 srm.

Yeah, I have done a trial test with some before, but it didn't take that long to do. Next time, I will have some patience and get it done. Definitely my next to do. I don't want to use treacle, as it is a little bit like molasses in beer.

Latest posts

Back