Black Flight Rye IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eviljay

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Hoppy and Spicy.
10.5 # 2-Row Pale
2 # American Rye
1.5 # German - Chocolate Rye
0.5 # Carapils
0.25 # De-Bittered Black
.5 # Flaked Wheat
.25# Rice Hulls (Rye is sticky)

Mashed at 153 for 60 minutes with 1.3 qt/lb.

1 oz Falconers Flight @ 60/20/10/5 and 1 oz Dry Hopped

The aroma on this is hoppy and slightly roasty.

It pours pitch black with a slightly brown, extremely thick head that stays for the duration of the glass. Leaves nice rings around the glass as you drink it. The mouthfeel is great, its velvety and smooth.

I attempted to balance the rye with the hops, I nailed it. It has a nice hop flavor up front with a spicy bitterness at the back end. HB friends have praised this as a fantastic beer. Even my IPA-hating wife likes it.

A great winter IPA. I'm going to make this again since I just bought a pound of FF at a group buy.

Will post a picture when I get home.

:mug:

Just wondering why you use S04 yeast. Is the idea that this finish on the malty side and not dry? I've been toying with the idea of doing a black IPA for some time.

I wanted it to have a some more mouthfeel and be heavier than a normal "black IPA".
S-04 has never done me wrong and I really like the way it turned out. It was almost into stout territory, but just a hoppy slightly spicy black ale.

I have yet to have rye cause a stuck sparge, but I typically throw in a few big handfuls of rice hulls. Works well.

Pacman never does me wrong. Good call sir. :tank:

I have used it on 6-8 beers over the last year or so, and they have turned out great. I still have a few jars that are third generation. I hope that I can continue to use them for the 4th or 5th generation. Most have been IPA's but I brewed a honey blond and the final gravity got to 1.006 with third generation. Thanks again for the great recipe.

ohhh this looks enticing! may take some of your ideas on this one to mesh with my black ipa recipe. A midnight wheat and chocolate rye blend might turn out real nice. I am unfamiliar with that hop though, will have to look that up.

That sounds equally as enticing. Falconers is nice, too expensive though, if I was looking to alter it I'd go with some CTZ as a bittering and a few nice earthy/citrus aroma/flavor hops. As it stands I have a few pounds of falconers in the freezer so I'll be making this until it runs out. I'll worry about playing with the hop bill later :tank:

Also, this fits into the style guidelines for an american stout.

hmm from the description on rebelbrewer it sounds alot like Citra, which, like most I love. Will have to work this into a recipe in the future.

Is there another name for pacman? I plan on brewing this over Thanksgiving weekend.

It is a strain that is used by Rogue. I was lucky and found it at AHS but most people harvest it from Rogue Beers because they use the same yeast to carbonate as they use to ferment.

im thinking of brewing this beer this weekend but my home brew shop doesnt carry falconers flight. what should i use instead?

Are you in the baltimore area?

I haven't messed with any other hops in this beer yet, because I like how it is.

If I was to do it with different hops I'd probably follow this schedule:

1oz CTZ @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 20
1oz Of your favorite aroma/flavor hops @ 10/5/dry hop

I'd recommend some simcoe/amarillo if your LHBS has it.

Back