Irish Red Ale Irish Red but Hopped Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale
Yeast Starter
Wyeast package
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
9.0% potantial
Final Gravity
3.2% potential
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 min
Color
Red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
11 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 days
Tasting Notes
Malt profile tastes like Killians Irish Red, has great hops aroma, but not too bitter
Grain:
10 lbs Marris Otter
2 lb Carared
1 lb flaked barley
8 oz Carastan
8 oz medium crystal 40 L
1 oz chocolate malt 625 L

Hop Schedule:
1 oz Fuggles, 60 minutes 4.2 alpha, 2.5 beta
1 oz Fuggles, 30 minutes 4.2 alpha, 2.5 beta
1 oz Fuggles, 15 minutes 4.2 alpha, 2.5 beta
1 oz Fuggles, 5 minutes 4.2 alpha, 2.5 beta

Mashed grains at 153 degrees for 90 minutes. Total boil time was 60 minutes with the hop schedule above and 1 tsp of Irish moss at 15 minutes before the end of the boil. Primary fermentation volume was 6 gallons.

HERE'S THE TRICK! Racked into two 3-gallon secondary carboys. In one, I dry hopped with 1 oz Fuggles leaf hops. In the other, 3 oz of Willamette pellets. This link shows the two carboys and discusses an issue I thought I was having (cold crashing DID fix the perceived cloudiness).

The beer was AMAZING! It had the malt profile of Killians Irish Red but with hops. It had a great hop aroma and flavor, but was NOT too bitter! Some friends said it was the best homebrew they had ever had.

The two pictures show the great red color. The Fuggles one (left) is cloudy only because the sediment found its way into the pour. The beer cleared up nicely. The Willamette one (right) has a much more pronounced hop aroma and flavor.

I am making it again.

Fuggles Irish Red.jpg

Willamette Irish Red.jpg

Sounds delicious!! I am going to brew a red again soon, and the last one was a bit hopped up. Everyone loved it, and your recipe sounds even better ;)

Your recipe caught my attention. I see a lot of hop additions. Was it really bitter like an IPA or well balanced?

Recipe looks great and pics look even better! Never used Carared, but I think the next time I make a red I'm going to get some 🍻

Great recipe! I dry hopped with Willamette pellets. I don't use a secondary fermentor, so I did 14 days in the primary and 13 days in the bottle.

IMG_8950.JPG

Latest posts

Back