1st Label - What to print on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
Here is my first label. The quote and name is from the band Blue October and I brewed it to take to a two day concert where I am camping with a bunch of crazy fans.

I have heard that if you use plain old paper and have it printed on a laser printer, it will not run. Since I am camping I have no choice but to plop these in a cooler full of ice. I don't like the weatherproof ones from onlinelabels.com because its permanent adhesive and I want to keep bottles.

Anyone try the plain paper/laser printer method and see how they hold up in ice? What about adhesive?
Any other ideas?

BlueSunshineLabel-1.jpg

You're going to need to spray a sealer on that or the lables are going to disintegrate. Additionally, I'd use a glue stick to hold them in place.

Normally you could stick them on with milk, it holds surprisingly well but the labels come right off when you're done with them.

I don't know of any "regular paper" options that will stand up to a cooler full of ice, though.

What if you kept the ice in the bags so the beer doesn't soak in ice water? That might work better, and keep the beer closer to proper serving temp as well.

Nice label, by the way.

rdwj said:
You're going to need to spray a sealer on that or the lables are going to disintegrate. Additionally, I'd use a glue stick to hold them in place.

Hey that may work...spray the sheets with some kind of 3M waterproof. What type of glue stick...just any glue stick that you find at like a Staples?

cbird01 said:
Hey that may work...spray the sheets with some kind of 3M waterproof. What type of glue stick...just any glue stick that you find at like a Staples?

I find milk works best for regular usage, but for in ice it sounds like a gluestick may be best. Yes, any gluestick should work. The one time i used glue, i used a water soluable liquid type gluestick which worked well, but again you will run into troubles with the ice. If you use one not water soluable you may have troubles getting the labels off when done.

If you are going camping why do you need labels!

btw : I just scratch a number onto the cap to tell me which is which, no messing around!

dibby33 said:
If you are going camping why do you need labels!

btw : I just scratch a number onto the cap to tell me which is which, no messing around!

Well the reason we made labels was because it is for an event. I usually use a sharpie for the top of the cap. When you can get your girlfriend pumped about brewing, you just do it. (she even has it brewing in her bedroom...hehehe :ban:)

Forget the bottle. Hit Staples for some iron-on transfer paper and make it a T-shirt!!! I just did my first Tee and it turned out great. You'd probably have to rework the "floating" text and background color though. Just FYI if you go the T-shirt route, watch your colors. If you choose any shirt but white it will affect the overall color shade because the whole graphic is somewhat translucent. I didn't have too much problem but you're purple background could be tough,

onecolumbyte said:
Forget the bottle. Hit Staples for some iron-on transfer paper and make it a T-shirt!!! I just did my first Tee and it turned out great. You'd probably have to rework the "floating" text and background color though. Just FYI if you go the T-shirt route, watch your colors. If you choose any shirt but white it will affect the overall color shade because the whole graphic is somewhat translucent. I didn't have too much problem but you're purple background could be tough,

They sell t-shirt paper designed for dark shirts if you use something other than a white shirt.

Great label!

What program do you use? I've been stuck with generic microsoft labels (due to lack of resources and computer savvy) & would really like to be more creative :fro:

Cheers :mug:

Southwood said:
Great label!

What program do you use? I've been stuck with generic microsoft labels (due to lack of resources and computer savvy) & would really like to be more creative :fro:

Cheers :mug:

I actually used Microsoft Publisher, but I had to do some work on the center logo in Photoshop. I could have done the whole thing in Photoshop. It really takes some playing around for a long time to be able to do anything creative. Even this label took me like 4 hours..now that I know the things I learned while doing this one, it would take a lot less time.

cbird01 said:
Well the reason we made labels was because it is for an event. I usually use a sharpie for the top of the cap. When you can get your girlfriend pumped about brewing, you just do it. (she even has it brewing in her bedroom...hehehe :ban:)

Say no more. Effort + Outcome = Result ;)

Back