BIAB Equipment question - Turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coloradobrewer

Reaction score
I need to start off by saying that I am cheap! I have been brewing partial mash for years. But, I have wanted to improve my brew by going all grain. But my perceived complexity of the process and equipment requirements have always stopped me. Also, remember I am cheap, equipment costs more money!

So, I have a basic question related to BIAB. I was able to get a turkey fryer with a basket from Sams. It is a 36 quart fryer. The BTUs are adequate to get a boil. But, I am not sure that 36 quarts is large enough for a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Is 36 quarts large enough, or should I return the fryer and keep brewing partial mash until I find a bigger pot???

Thanks for any info that will help me get started on BIAB.

Hell yeah it's big enough! Also, since it's the end of summer, see what you can do to pick up parts to build yourself a mash tun.

I am not the most mechanically inclined human on these forums, but I can do simple stuff like oh... brew beer, knit a scarf, put together Ikea furniture, do basic home repairs, and I built a mash tun!

BIAB is a GREAT place to start, but lifting a bag of heavy wet grains and waiting for the drip drip drip gets old. You could probably pick up a 10 gallon water cooler on sale at your local home improvement store, and the hardware isn't too hard to come by either.

Really... it's a lot easier than it seems and will make your AG experience seem SO much easier!

I did my last BIAB in a 36 qt pot and it worked out fine. However, I did a batch sparge in 2 gal after using 6.5 gal for the mash. I have to tell you that if you are making a high gravity brew, the amount of grain you need and the amount of water lost to the grain makes for a lot of volume. Mine was a 8% IPA. The sparge was to avoid too much volume. So, for a full volume mash, 10 gal is better . All that said, I am working with a 7 gal and a 5 gal pot and I make it work. Looking for a nice 10 gal stainless pot for the future. Or, I might convert the keg I have sitting in the garage.

Back