Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Us-05 is starting slow, a bubble in the blowoff vessel about every 15-20 seconds...ill still give it 24 more hours before I switch to airlock

Those that used honey malt rather than honey...
Please post your results!
I'm not sure how much honey malt to use in this grain bill. It's powerful stuff.

Just bringing my second batch of this to a boil now. My wife actually thought I was handing her the best tasting commercial red she had till I told her it was mine. Love it!!!

It's go time!
Untitled.jpg

I also grabbed a second kit because SWMBO loved the cider I did and is requesting... requesting strongly for a second batch. Let Brew Day Commence!

I'm about half way through drinking my first attempt at this. I made a few minor alterations to the original recipe for my tastes, but can say that this is a great recipe. If anyone is interested I've written more about my attempt on my webpage. Thanks.

20141207_205655.jpg

I'm about half way through drinking my first attempt at this. I made a few minor alterations to the original recipe for my tastes, but can say that this is a great recipe. If anyone is interested I've written more about my attempt on my webpage. Thanks.

Looks tasty, I'm very impatient with this brew, especially since my last three brews have been light ales for my dad. It's fermenting away 48 hrs in, very impressed with taste at vorlauf didn't try before racking into primary. If its good I'm going to do a ten gallon batch for St. Paddys Day to go with the ten gallons of co3c I'm going to attempt to dye green

Has anyone tried this with a lager yeast? Seems like it might work for the style (BJCP even mentions it in guidelines).

I have a slurry of 34/70 from a pilsner and am thinking of using it on this rather than the 05/WLP001.

Thoughts? What changes would this impart?

I'm inadvertently cold crashing this beer just shy of 72 hours into fermentation, the landlord and I both neglected to check propane level and we ran out and furthermore the propane company says it could be til Wednesday before they make it out there.

This batch was going so well I'm hoping staying in the unheated house doesn't ruin it...got a low of -3 for tomorrow

Definitely making this - my birthday is on St Patricks Day.

Will hopefully be the best present I get (to myself...ha)

One question - What are the fermentation temps you guys are using? I noticed WLP001 is 68-73 degrees. I was thinking about going on the lower end of that (68).

You've all convinced me - this is my next brew! As with many others, CaraAroma is not available locally. I'm going to substitute Crystal 120, but am wondering if anyone has tried adding an ounce or two of roasted barley to bring out the red color? Seems like if I drop the 120 by an ounce and sub in the roasted barely I get the right color and OG.

I read on a few sites that roasted barely is common in Irish red's so thought this would still fit the style - what do you think?

You've all convinced me - this is my next brew! As with many others, CaraAroma is not available locally. I'm going to substitute Crystal 120, but am wondering if anyone has tried adding an ounce or two of roasted barley to bring out the red color? Seems like if I drop the 120 by an ounce and sub in the roasted barely I get the right color and OG.

I read on a few sites that roasted barely is common in Irish red's so thought this would still fit the style - what do you think?

you really don't need the roasted barley. the red color is there.. its REALLY there

FWIW.....

I took this recipe to my local brew store, and after a couple bad substitutions, came back with this:

Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.00 lb Crystal 10 (sub for Caraaroma)
0.50 lb Carapils (sub for) Carafoam
0.50 lb Victory (sub for Melanoiden Malt)
1.00 oz Crystal
1.00 oz Cascade
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

I learned that the substatutions took out the red, so I went back for 1 lb of Crystal 120 and 2oz of roasted barley. I added the roasted barley at the end of the 90 mash and left it in until mashout, for maybe 10-15 min.

this is what I ended up with.

redale.jpg

Been in the fermenter exactly two weeks now, airlock is still bubbling every few seconds, but I had planned on a one month fermentation and then bottle conditioning for a month sans a few "sample" bottles...I'm an impatient brewer and I really want to taste this.

Trying to keep myself busy brewing to take my mind off of it just racked my deception cream stout to primary and am procrastinating on bottling a brewer's beat American Light kit, trying to decide what to brew next, my dad is harping on me for more co3c, I've got to step up to ten gallon batches

Hey So were you happy with using the California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)??? I am in the middle on using that or the WLP004. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Hey So were you happy with using the California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)??? I am in the middle on using that or the WLP004. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Yep...very happy with it.. although I tend to use US-05 now since it's cheaper. both are great clean yeasts... WLP004 is a good choice too...

Hydrometer read 1.010 fg and sample wasn't very red even in the light, very drinkable though...bottling feb 4th

Held it up to the light still didn't look red, maybe theres just not enough in the thief to really show the red color?
Doesn't really matter its delicious now, Idk if its gonna go a month in the fermenter after all

I brewed this tonight with a couple variations. I used 8.75 lbs of 2 row. I added too much at the hbs and didn't feel like taking it out. I used .25 lbs of honey malt instead of honey to save a bit of money. I used wyeast Irish ale. The hops is where I really changed it up. I had some Hallertau, mt. Hood, warrior, and some that didn't write down what they were from previous beers. Unfortunately I only wrote down the alpha acid on the warrior which was 15.57. I dumped all the hops in a bag a mixed them up. I adjusted the hop additions to .5 oz because of the warrior. I ended up hitting 77% efficiency with an OG of 1.062. Plan on primary for 2 weeks, keg and cold crashing and tapping on St. Paddy's day. Looking forward to this brew.

Hey mysticmead, new to brewing. I was going to attempt to brew the extract version that you converted. Was wondering how long to steep the grains for to closely match the AG version? Most kits I've seen say 15-30 mins, but this is no kit beer for sure. Just wanting some insight. Also, I saw you say 4 weeks in primary, then keg, but wondering what temps you hold during fermentation? Thanks!

Hmmmm... it's been years since I brewed an extract. I would shoot for at least 30 minutes... ferment at 65F just like any other ale and you'll be fine.

Great! Thank you sir. Cannot wait to taste this one after all the replies!

A month in the fermenter will be February 4th, however I'm gonna bottle super bowl Sunday or Monday as I have vacation...then I'm going to try for 3-4 weeks in the bottle before I really start getting into them....of course there'll be some "sampling" during that time

A month in the fermenter will be February 4th, however I'm gonna bottle super bowl Sunday or Monday as I have vacation...then I'm going to try for 3-4 weeks in the bottle before I really start getting into them....of course there'll be some "sampling" during that time

it's the sampling that'll kill your supply...

I don't try to be "that" guy, but this time Im gonna do it lol

Im in a crush for time.... is the original recipe on post #1 the recipe to brew, or have there been updates?

Excellent! And thanks for posting. Im making a Dry Irish Stout and I already have a large starter of WL Irish Ale that I could use in both. Or would u recommend using the American Ale yeast strain that you used?

Excellent! And thanks for posting. Im making a Dry Irish Stout and I already have a large starter of WL Irish Ale that I could use in both. Or would u recommend using the American Ale yeast strain that you used?

if you have the starter made... use it. you won't be disappointed. otherwise I'd say use the WLP001 or US05

Maybe I'll split the batch and get some 001. I always like to start with an original recipe first. Thx for the quick response and advise. Jus picked up the grains and hops!

This thread always gets very active a few months before paddy's day. :D
I brewed this about a 16 months ago and it was a nice beer but not near as good as some people say on here.
It was however only my third batch, I used Mt. Hood instead of Crystal and I drank it all between the 1st and 4th week in the bottle. So I'm going to try it again and see if I can improve on my last attempt.

I put this recipe in beersmith and it says to mash with like 12.something quarts of water and sparge with 19.something. Does this sound right?

Back