Bottling Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirozel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made my 1st cider nearly a month ago, (3/5/11) using Edworts recipe as a template, and lil bits of other peoples recipes around here:

2 lbs Clover Honey
2 Cans Treetop Frozen Applejuice Concentrate
1 Cup Brown Sugar
Topped up with around 4gallons of el cheapo Applejuice from the store
1 packet of Redstar Montrachet

Unfortunately I didn't have a Hydromerter at the time, but I've obtained one since. The little carbonation-like bubbles stopped about 2 weeks ago, I racked it off the ickies last weekend, and now it's clearing out.

My plan is to let it sit for another couple weeks, bottling the majority in wine bottles, and letting it sit till Christmas for gifts. My question to you guys: Do you think it will be done fermenting at that point (and not blow up the bottles), or should I let it sit longer than that?

Thanks for any advice you guys have!

- Miro

Ive made close to ed's recipe about 5 times, usually its stopped fermenting after 10 days, i think leave it for another week or 2 toclear up in the primary.

After its been in bottles a month its good to go. Longer the better. I carb up some of my ones to get a nice sparkling cider, 1 teaspoon of suger per 500mls.

But basically 2 weeks to clear then bottle 4 weeks would be good enough. Longer, no problem.

I am sure that this gets mentioned a lot around here, but the only way to make sure that fermentation has stopped is by taking hydro readings or stopping it yourself(preservatives or pasteurization.)

It's tricky to tell by bubbling or airlock activity. Especially with Apfelwein and Montrachet because it's a slow, long, ferment. Also a lot can depend on the age of yeast and temperature of ferment.

I only say all this because I am paranoid about bottle bombs and it's easy to take a few readings and be sure.

Honey tends to be a slow fermenter, so I'd check the SG readings until they were stable but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still fermenting slowly in a month.

Remember, you bottle AFTER fermentation is over, not before. You don't want it to ferment in the bottle at all, as the bottles will blow up or the corks will pop out or both. You only bottle when fermentation is completely finished. It's not unusual for wines, meads, and ciders made with honey to be in the fermenter 6 months to a year before bottling!

Latest posts

Back