Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about making this recipe but my question is. Are the kmeta and sorbate absolutely necessary or could you make this without it?
Thanks for any replies

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Certainly. It will ferment dry, and if that's where you like it, you're done. If sweetened with to taste with natural sweeteners, the sugars will add food, and the yeast will start eating and passing gas again. If bottled while the yeast is active there would be a big risk for bottle bombs, hence the sorbate to inhibit the yeast's growth. Alternatives to using sorbate would be to use artificial sweeteners; or to pasteurize the naturally sweetened pee, which would kill the active yeast. (For details on pasteurization, see the thread(s) in the cider forum.)

Yes, the kmeta and sorbate prevent renewed fermentation. Without them, the yeast would start up again when you backsweeten, and u get bottle bombs

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I bought the stuff to make this last night. I plan on making it soon. I'm using 4 bottles of lemon juice to make it extra tart. I also plan to bottle carb and pasteurize. I used this method on a caramel apple hard cider and it worked well. I am also using fresh rehydrated yeast instead of a slurry. I'm going with two packets just for the extra cell count. Hopefully this will come out tasting more like lemonade instead of wine.

I bought the stuff to make this last night. I plan on making it soon. I'm using 4 bottles of lemon juice to make it extra tart. I also plan to bottle carb and pasteurize. I used this method on a caramel apple hard cider and it worked well. I am also using fresh rehydrated yeast instead of a slurry. I'm going with two packets just for the extra cell count. Hopefully this will come out tasting more like lemonade instead of wine.

Careful, without backsweetening this stuff comes out dry as *Game of Thrones Spoiler alert* my eyes when Joffrey died.

So, a quick question. If I plan to bottle carb and stovetop pasteurize the batch, do I omit both the Kmeta and Sorbate? I am pretty sure those two chemicals mixed together are what kill the remaining yeast. I just want to be 100% sure.

I just finished my 2nd batch of skeeter pee and it's just too acidic for me. I thought I had a cast iron gut but I can't drink a half a pint without getting serious heartburn. I've been mixing it half and half with apfelwein and it makes a helluva nice cider drink.

Anyone know how long SP can sit in the fermenter and still be good? Long story short is I make it up for my wife and her friends. I made a batch back in December but unfortunately my wife had a medical issue which prevented her from having alcohol then as well. Now she can and is asking for some SP. It basically has fermented dry and sat since then as I havnt sweetened yet. It passes the eye test but just looking on some advice as to whether it should still be ok or if I should scrap it and start fresh.

Anyone know how long SP can sit in the fermenter and still be good? Long story short is I make it up for my wife and her friends. I made a batch back in December but unfortunately my wife had a medical issue which prevented her from having alcohol then as well. Now she can and is asking for some SP. It basically has fermented dry and sat since then as I havnt sweetened yet. It passes the eye test but just looking on some advice as to whether it should still be ok or if I should scrap it and start fresh.

If it looks alright I would sweeten and taste a sample to see if it tastes off. There is nothing in it that will hurt you, so if it tastes alright drink it.

If it sat on lees then depending on the type of yeast used there may be some autolysis action happening causing off flavors. But then again there may be no autolysis at all and it be fine. Best bet is to taste it and see if you like it.

We gave it a taste tonight and SWMBO said it probably was the best tasting pre-sweetened batch we have made. Looks like I got worried for nothing. Sweetened it up will keg next weekend. Might need to let it sit more than usual if the wife really likes this bath.

I made a batch in January and just bottled it last weekend, you should be good. when you keg a batch do you usually serve it like beer at 10psi or much higher like soda??

just got a couple kegs and looking at doing this.

thanks

I just finished my 2nd batch of skeeter pee and it's just too acidic for me. I thought I had a cast iron gut but I can't drink a half a pint without getting serious heartburn. I've been mixing it half and half with apfelwein and it makes a helluva nice cider drink.

A group of us get together monthly for dinner and movie, with the dinner being based on the movie. Last month was a German film,.do a German dinner. We made ersatz Radlers by mixing a Blonde made with German malts and hops with skeeter pee. It was quite tasty!

The recipe says to check periodically and when it gets to about 1.050 add the rest of the lemon juice, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. Unfortunately I broke my hydrometer earlier this week when I knocked it off the counter. Can someone tell me if that gravity is usually right after the strong rapid bubble fermentation starts to slow, or earlier or later? Is there a good way to guess it or should I run out and replace my broken hydrometer?

And one other question, when I last went into my lhbs they were out of tannin and I forgot until after I had already started this batch, is it ok to add it with the last bottle of lemon and other stuff?

And one other question, when I last went into my lhbs they were out of tannin and I forgot until after I had already started this batch, is it ok to add it with the last bottle of lemon and other stuff?

I think I have forgotten tannin in a few of my batches, and it turned out fine. Not a very scientific answer, but im saying it probably wont ruin it if you add later. SP is pretty hard to screw up.

The recipe says to check periodically and when it gets to about 1.050 add the rest of the lemon juice, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. Unfortunately I broke my hydrometer earlier this week when I knocked it off the counter. Can someone tell me if that gravity is usually right after the strong rapid bubble fermentation starts to slow, or earlier or later? Is there a good way to guess it or should I run out and replace my broken hydrometer?

I added my nutrient/energizer after about a week and a half or two weeks if that helps.
If I recall the gravity at that time was about 1.06, but it got down to .096 just fine.

Texas has the right of it though. I cut corners when mine was working (not vigorously stirring, things like that) and it's fine so far.

Thanks a bunch! I marked two weeks on the calendar to add everything. Just out of curiosity, about how long did it take to ferment dry after the second ingredient edition?

It's hard to say.
I believe I started it sometime in early March (I'd have to check my notes), but it was definitely done by Mid April. I hadn't been checking it regularly so it could have been done sooner than that.

31 days later....she finally get bottled, which is Saturday...and she is clear

iho[h.jpg

Anyone see any issue with backsweetening with a reduced bottle of Simply Lemon? I'm thinking of adding some pectic enzyme (but I'm not sure I'll need it) after it has reduced. Hoping to bottle a day or two after adding the reduction.
Any issues with this?

Just brewed up my second batch today, Added about 1/4 cup of fresh orange pekoe tea. Smelt like an Arnold Palmer im pretty excited.

When I make my SP instead of tannin powder I use earl grey black tea. I think it rocks. Bet your orange pekoe tea infused SP will be great.

drank my first SP and did not get a buzz. It was almost like drinking Kool-Aid. started at 1.070 and finished at .0994.wtf?

Assuming you meant a final gravity of .994 that comes out to 10.1% ABV. You apparently are a raging alcoholic and have built up a tolerance. :cross:
Try a bigger glass!

When I make my SP instead of tannin powder I use earl grey black tea. I think it rocks. Bet your orange pekoe tea infused SP will be great.

When can you add that? I forgot to pick up tannins and just skipped them, I love arnold palmers though. I'm going to be putting my sparkaloid in today is it to late?

My neighbor made up a batch and we had a couple glasses while watching GoT. After two glasses, both of us were definitely feeling no pain - great stuff!

Anyone see any issue with backsweetening with a reduced bottle of Simply Lemon? I'm thinking of adding some pectic enzyme (but I'm not sure I'll need it) after it has reduced. Hoping to bottle a day or two after adding the reduction.
Any issues with this?

I do! I find that the 3 bottles the recipe calls for give it plenty of zest,
IMO this stuff NEEDS sweetness added back after its done fermenting to balance existing lemon flavor, not more tartness on top. This comes down to personal preference, but taste it first before adding and see what you think.
I've also never added pectic enzyme at bottling, and never had a problem with pectin haze or any other cloudiness, so don't know why you would need it

I've made batches that were more on the tart side. Here's how they turned out:

I added 2 cut up grapefruits to one batch initially, and backsweetened with a few cans of white grapefruit concentrate plus sugar. This is universally the least-liked batch I have made, by everyone who has tried, because its just TOO tart. Hence why I have 3 bottles of this still hanging around while later batches have long since been finished.

Another batch I made a Cherry Lime, and rather than substituting one bottle of lemon for lime (as was suggested on this site), I did all three lime. I learned that Real Lime is MORE intense than real Lemon, and was a little much. Still turned out good, but when faced with a choice, my panel of tasters all preferred the mixed berry lemon and original SP over this every time.

It depends on who will be drinking this and their preferences. I like all kinds of fermentables, but not everyone likes beer, particularly SWMBO and others like her who prefer sweet wines and ciders. Thus, I tend to cater my SP recipes to that crowd. Also, too much tartness or acidity gives some people heartburn or other adverse reactions. Hope that helps

When can you add that? I forgot to pick up tannins and just skipped them, I love arnold palmers though. I'm going to be putting my sparkaloid in today is it to late?

I would probably just brew like 2 cups or so of really strong tea and dump it in, its probably too late to add it dry. I added mine when I was heating up the sugarwater before primary.

Yea I add the dry tea at yeast pitch. It gives a cool effect with the active yeast swirling the dark tee around and you can see all the little vortices of liquid swirling around. And it is important to add then because when the yeast drops out the tea drops like a stone and is buried in the lees. Adding loose leaf later may not clear out and you may need to filter. Adding tea bags may work well but you can't leave it there long because the tea bags degrade badly. Well then a hops bag could work instead.

If you brew a couple cups and add that I highly suggest a long cold brew of tea. Hot tea brew pulls too much bitter flavor and it does not complement SP very well IMO.

I have a cranberry wine going right now that should be ready for it's first racking soon. I think I will use the yeast from that. How does a cranberry lemon skeeter pee sound?
Could I just leave about half a gallon of the cranberry wine in the primary and add the skeeter pee ingredients right to it?

Unlock ZTE 998

I do! I find that the 3 bottles the recipe calls for give it plenty of zest,
IMO this stuff NEEDS sweetness added back after its done fermenting to balance existing lemon flavor, not more tartness on top. This comes down to personal preference, but taste it first before adding and see what you think.
I've also never added pectic enzyme at bottling, and never had a problem with pectin haze or any other cloudiness, so don't know why you would need it

I've made batches that were more on the tart side. Here's how they turned out:

I added 2 cut up grapefruits to one batch initially, and backsweetened with a few cans of white grapefruit concentrate plus sugar. This is universally the least-liked batch I have made, by everyone who has tried, because its just TOO tart. Hence why I have 3 bottles of this still hanging around while later batches have long since been finished.

Another batch I made a Cherry Lime, and rather than substituting one bottle of lemon for lime (as was suggested on this site), I did all three lime. I learned that Real Lime is MORE intense than real Lemon, and was a little much. Still turned out good, but when faced with a choice, my panel of tasters all preferred the mixed berry lemon and original SP over this every time.

It depends on who will be drinking this and their preferences. I like all kinds of fermentables, but not everyone likes beer, particularly SWMBO and others like her who prefer sweet wines and ciders. Thus, I tend to cater my SP recipes to that crowd. Also, too much tartness or acidity gives some people heartburn or other adverse reactions. Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply. When I tested mine I wasn't getting as much lemon flavor as I would have liked so I went for it. I backsweetened a week or two ago, then added my reduction last weekend. Unfortunately, when I added the reduction it was super clear but it hasn't gotten to that point again yet.
If I could do it again, I wouldn't do it again :p

I have a cranberry wine going right now that should be ready for it's first racking soon. I think I will use the yeast from that. How does a cranberry lemon skeeter pee sound?
Could I just leave about half a gallon of the cranberry wine in the primary and add the skeeter pee ingredients right to it?

Unlock ZTE 998

I think it sounds great! I usually use the lees from a 1 gallon white grape peach wine but I only leave about 1 - 1/2 inch of wine above the lees and I mix that up and pitch it. But I get very little flavor from that in the final product. I am sure there is some change but I can't taste it unless I have a side by side comparison.

So about a half gallon to 3/4ths may impart a nice little bit of flavor and probably pinken the SP a bit.

I finished my first batch last weekend. This stuff is delicious!!!!!!!!!! I foresee a fun Memorial Day weekend ;)

I did a quick post about it with my notes on my blog.

June

skeeter2.jpg

Back